The Argument

That night Rose slept restlessly, lapsing in and out of consciousness. Her legs were tangled through her bedsheets, her sunset orange hair fanned across her pillow.

Where was her ring?

She didn't know why, but she felt unsettled without it. Almost like she missed the ring.

Rose shivered, and straightened the sheets of her bed. Even when she closed her eyes, she could see the ring. It was a soft, silver colour and was made up of coils of metal, which twisted and intertwined across each piece of thin silver.
Like a snake.
And it was cold. So cold, in fact, that she nearly dropped it when she swiped it off the ground. As soon as she picked it up, her whole hand had felt as if it hand been plunged in a pool of icy water, the cold pulsing through her whole arm so swiftly, and vanished as soon as she plopped it into her robe pocket.

She shivered again, this time with anticipation. She couldn't wait to get the ring back, to feel it's familiar grip across her finger as she put it on, like she had the hundred of times before. To feel its...

Wait.

Because of the darkness, and the fact that her curtains were drawn, nobody saw Roses face quickly twist into what one would only be able to describe as confusion, puzzlement and fear mingled into one expression. But she could feel it.

She had never worn the ring before.

Not today, not ever. In fact she had barely even touched it before she slipped it away. So how did she know it's touch around her finger? Why, how could she crave something she had never felt. Dread crept up her toes, and as it moved up her body it mixed into fear. Those memories, she thought to herself, those thoughts, they aren't mine.

  *

The next morning, all memories of the night before had washed away, all that remained was a faint longing for... something. Rose wasn't sure what, and the feeling was equally annoying and unsettling. Walking down the spiral staircase and into the common room, Rose smiled as she saw the turned faces of Priya, Aurora, Albus, and a few other friends she couldn't make out as they began to climb out of the common room.

"Guys. wait up!" She called, jumping down the steps two at a time to catch up. Priya turned around, and froze mid smile, her eyes quickly looking Rose up and down.

"Rosie... Can I talk to you for a sec?" Her voice was as calm and husky as normal, but she heard concern embedded into her words as well. Confused, she raised her eyebrows.

"What?" She said.

Priya paused. Everyone was watching her, slightly confused. Signalling the other to go on downstairs, she pulled Rosie over to the corner of the common room.

"What was going on last night?" She asked, softly but firmly.

"Nothing...Why?" Said Rose, surprised by the sharpness in Priyas voice.

"Because..." She lowered her voice "Because you were talking in your sleep last night."

Rose shrugged, but her toes curl inside her school shoes. She felt the memory of last night swiftly forced itself back into her mind.

"Everyone talks in their sleep," She said as casually as she could.

"Yea, but this wasn't the mumbling unintelligible kind of sleep-talking, you were talking, as in proper sentences." Priya said in a hushed voice.

"You... you were talking about that dumb ring."

Rose felt her body stiffen, and her fingers dig painfully into her hands. Stay calm.

"Was I? Well it must have been a bad dream. Because I'm fine. Now."

"Well," Priya reached into her school bag and grabbed out a small compact mirror, "You don't look fine."

She handed Rose the mirror, and as she opened it, watched her stifle a gasp. Underneath Roses eyes were dark, heavy bags. Bigger than she had seen ever before.

"I don't think it's a good idea to get that ring back from Scorpius," Priya said gently, "It gives me weird vibes, and look what it's doing to you!"

"And?" Rose said defensively.

"Oh come on, don't you think that it's, I don't know, really fucking creepy?"

At that, Rose felt herself flush with sudden anger. Slamming the compact close, Rose shoved the mirror back into Priyas hands.

"Are you just here to criticise me?" She hissed.

Shocked at the sudden shift in conversation, Priya opened her mouth, but was cut off.

"Because I was fine till you put me in a pissy mood. All you're doing is being overdramatic, you were probably dreaming when you 'heard' me talking." She continued, "There's nothing wrong with me, or my ring. And so don't bother asking Malfoy about it, obviously if it creeps you out too much; then it's none of your concern."

With that, she spun around and flounced out of the common room; without even seeing Priyas hair match her stony expression; dark.

*
A/N: Sorry it's been so long since I've updated lmao, but I've got a whole lot of chapters planned so prepare for a lot more coming up!