Chapter I (Early May)

She watched as the last of the movers took the boxes and loaded them into the truck. This would be the last time she'd see the home she'd grown up in. The last time she would drive her car down the deserted road, and the last time she would feel like...this. Aniyah Marie had made the decision to restart her life, on her terms and no one elses. She would no longer play nice, she would simply exist in whatever existence defined her at that moment. 

Taking one last walk around the house, fingering certain fixtures in each room, she exhaled. When she inhaled she released all of the old things, memories, people. She released all of those things that hadn't allowed her to be who and what she wanted to be. Leaving Peoria would be hard, but there wasn't many choices for advancement in her life here. Finally feeling the courage to leave, she walked out the door, locked it, and placed the key in the mailbox. Hopping on I-74 towards Chicago, she looked in her rearview mirror at the Peoria skyline, she breathed in Chase tower, and the docks off the riverfront. She breathed in the stores she'd frequented during college, the hotels she'd had numerous romps in, and she released all the pain she'd stored in her heart.

She smiled, and she laughed...in the midst of her laughing her phone began to blare.

"Hey baby, I just left," she said to her longtime girlfriend Asia.

"You ready for this next step kiddo? I know you've been nervous about leaving, but I'm extremely proud of you. I know your dad would be too, he always said your personality was too big for that small town anyway," I could hear her smiling through the phone.

"I've been ready Asia, I know now for sure that I was never made to be there. I don't know exactly what's going to come next, but I sincerely thank you for pushing me towards this next step. I love you baby," she hoped that Asia really knew how much she loved her.

"I love you more, I wish I could be there to help with your transition. I miss you like crazy Aniyah,"

"I miss you more, but Chase needs his mommy. Right now isn't the time to think about us while all this crazy stuff is going on in his life, besides he's too young to understand he has two mommies. I know if you could be here, then you would be,"

"I'm glad you're so understanding. You have always been so understanding, that's what I love about you. Sevyn asked about you the other night, I think he misses you too,"

"Well Asia I don't think he misses me enough, I haven't heard from him since the last time I came to visit you guys. I don't think he's really into this whole polyamory thing as you are, besides you're his wife. I know he has to feel some type of way about all the attention you've been giving to me,"  she said hoping Asia was catching her point.

Aniyah had met Asia at a marketing conference during her internship with Maddox Advertising Agency of which she was the co-founder. She was a stunningly beautiful and tall woman, and her age only enhanced her features. At 35 she had built her own company, married one of the most respectful and finest men Aniyah had ever laid eyes on, and birthed a little boy she loved as much as her own. For the past five years Aniyah watched as Asia's family and company grew, while her own career remained stagnate. Although she took care of her finances, Asia never understood her own yearning for freedom, liberation. Aniyah wanted a family of her own, be it with her or someone else. 

"Sevyn loves you Aniyah, he and I both wish you'd come live with us. You know his 36th birthday is approaching, this would be a great time for us all to vacation together again,"

"I'll think about it babe, but I'm going to let you go so I can focus on these roads. I'll call or text you when I make it," and with that she ended the call. She allowed her mind to wonder as she made the three hour drive to Chicago, the place where she'd find the answers to who she was, and to whom she would eventually become.