Chapter II (Mid May)

Aniyah racked her brain over and over as to who she would get to staff the small office. Of course she’d need a few administrative assistants, but there was the issue of who’d be a part of her marketing team. Jason had informed her that she needed about 10 associates, an IT specialist, and a publicist for the office. Where was she supposed to find these people? Human resources wasn’t something that she’d specialized in, and wasn’t this firm owned by Asia and Jason? Weren’t they the responsible parties for having a successful business? When she got her hands on Asia she would ring her neck over and over, this wasn't apart of their deal. Asia always new how to dangle something in front of her, and then snatch it right back.

After taking a day to enjoy the city, and thinking about the large task hanging over her head; Aniyah had a brilliant idea. One of the best associates she’d worked with back in Peoria had been a graduate of Northwestern University. He had informed her of the difficulty he’d experience in finding internships during his time at the college, and how he’d wished local companies created partnerships with the business college. After garnering approval from both Asia and Jason, she went home drafted up a proposal for said program, organized a meeting with the department chair, and within two weeks had her staff. She’d secured administrative assistants from a temp to hire company in the loop, and found the IT specialist and publicist through Craigslist. Here was her chance to shine, and reign supreme.

“I must say you’ve slayed Asia’s little challenge. I’m proud of you kiddo, but I am disappointed that you declined the offer to join me in Barbados for my birthday. You know 36 is a very special age,” Sev joked with her the night she’d called to confide in him about the challenges she was facing at Maddox.

“Sevyn we both know that all three of us together is an uncomfortable situation. Asia and I really aren’t seeing eye to eye at the moment. She expected me to fail because she didn’t have her hand in the pot. Do you know how much that rocked me? If someone is supposed to support me, why would they set me up to fail. That doesn't make any sense, like what so ever," she said sighing into the phone. When Asia called to congratulate her on her success, she informed her that this was a test to see if she was ready to be in charge. Aniyah didn't like being tested, and she hated surprise's even more.

"Aniyah, Asia only want what's best for you. I don't agree with her methods, but I understand her reasoning. It's the same thing she does with Chase, she's hard on him about his condition, but it's to strengthen him as a man when he gets older," Sevyn tried explaining to her.

"She needs to let up off of both me and Chase, especially seeing how he isn't even her son," she replied before Sevyn could cut her off.

"She may not have carried him into this world, but she has raised him since day one. Don't ever speak against my wife in that manor again Aniyah and I mean it. You think you know every damn thing, but I'm sorry you don't. You're always being so ungrateful; think about it who's paying your bills, who secured you a top position at a growing firm. Asia! Thank her and let the past go,"

"See Sev that's your problem, you're so stuck up her ass you don't even see where she's wrong. I don't even know why I called you. All you do is defend her to the death, but you forget all that she has done to you. You didn't even want to be in this arrangement in the beginning, but no. You did whatever it took to make her happy and look at you," she spewed back at him. His words stung her like venom and she would defend herself to the death against anyone. She usually respected Sevyn feelings, but today was different. She wasn't going to allow herself to be crushed by their dominating voice in her life, she was a grown woman now, no longer an adolescent.

"I'm everything and more a husband is suppose to be, til death do we part. Our marriage vows are serious to me, but I guess that's something you would never understand. No Aniyah, you chose to share someone, rather than have your own," he said continuing to crush her spirit.