Chapter III

The Next Day

I lay on the cold hard cement floor. The jail was very hot. I heard a guard mention that the heater broke and is in overdrive, but they don't care about anyone enough to bother fixing it. So, right now I feel like dying of heat exhaustion. It feels aweful.

"Girl.." I heard a cracky voice say. I snap up and look at the old man.

"What is it?" I ask, not really caring what he has to say. That Beta has my hopes up.

"It's too hot in here..." he trails off. I could hear his heavy weezing without my werewolf ears.

"Yah- kind of obvious." I say in a smartass tone. I'm just in a salty mood. I actually don't know what I'm feeling right now.

"If we stay any longer we are going to die. Me before you, way before you." he manages to breathe out. My mouth hung open in shock.

"What makes you say that old man?"

He slowly points to something beside my cell. His bones popping, like he hadn't moved in forever. "It's rising one degree every two hours." he faintly said. I could tell he was loosing energy, and quickly.

I tug on my cuffs and it hurt, but not as much as it use to. I got so use to it that it didn't hurt. It only felt like someone pinched me. I keep pulling and I hear other prisoners murmuring 'what is that girl doing?' 'is she trying to escape' 'she can't she has silver cuffs'.

I ignore all there murmurs and continue until the jail door creeks open, slowly. They open it way too often sometimes.

"What's all the commotion?" a guard shouts. Walking past every jail cell looking in. At that point I was sitting on the floor with my usual sad face. "Well?" Nobody spoke up and I hear a cell door open. "You! Hands, knees on the floor!"

I couldn't get close enough to the bars to see what was going on, but it was pretty obvious.

An execution.

Should I tell them it was me? I'm not really a killer. Maybe, just maybe- bang. A gunshot rang throughout the jail. Everybody was shouting as the guard walked out, dragging a dead, older man behind him. Right before he walked out he gave us a dark warning. "Stop with the commotion or you will all face the same fate as this bitch!"

It was silent. You could hear people breathe. I stand back up and tug at the chains and cuffs once again. Again. Again. And again. Until I heard a snap, the other prisoners heard it as well. 

My powers wouldn't return to me for a bit, so for now I was like a normal human. I walk up to the bars and examine them, trying to determine on how to get out.

"You're so tiny why not just slip through where they serve the food?" A voice reccomends. I had never talked to him- not even once, but it was a great idea. I layer on my stomach and slowly slid out. If I were any bigger, I wouldn't have made it.

Now to get out of here.