Chapter Twenty Four

Currently, I was sitting on the stairs with Alex next to me as we were talking and laughing as there were seventh graders blushing with embarrassment as parents gushed about them. Of course we tried mocking them, but it's hard when the parents know basically all the same languages and the seventh graders knew some of the same.

"Did your mom ever embarrass you when you first started?" Alex asked. I thought about it then shook my head.

"No, not really. She would try but it didn't really work, up till the first week of this year she was never able to that is." I answered.

"What about your dad?" Was his follow up question. I thought about it again then nodded.

"For sure. Especially when it was the first day ever of me being here. Thankfully, Morgan came and saved me by playing the bored card." I smiled at the memory. It was stupid to be embarrassed since they were only being parents, but it's whatever now. I sighed before asking him about his.

"Never really knew my dad. As far as I know, he wasn't even there when I was born." Alex answered like it was nothing.

"Dad went to the store and never came back, huh?" I teased. He laughed and nodded slowly.

"Exactly."

"What about your mom?" He shrugged.

"Not around anymore." At this my heart dropped.

"Oh... I'm so sorry. Growing up without parents must suck." He nodded.

"Yeah, I was lost till your grandparents saw me pick pocketing them." At this I let out a light laugh.

"You're joking, right? Like did you actually tried and pick pocket them?" He nodded.

"While they were supposedly on a mission too." I laughed more, not even believing this. "What? They look like normal people and I needed pizza money!" He defended.

"Okay, okay. Fine, this is just hard to believe." I shook my head.

"Yeah? Well believe it. They ended up finding the abandoned house I was hiding out in to get it back." A moment or two past before either of us spoke up again.

"I tried doing that once-for practice." I said.

"Really?" I nodded.

"I didn't know it was them, they were in disguise and I was with my dad when he was like 'go pick pocket their wallets and I'll take you to get ice cream before dinner.' So, I went for it and got in so much trouble." At this, Alex laughed. "Hey, not funny. I got stuck doing the dishes with my dad for the whole summer."

And he started laughing even more at this. I rolled my eyes and slapped his arm. This definitely made him stop. I pointed to Kyle who walked right by us without even paying attention. I shared a look with Alex before looking back at Kyle. He looked so sad like he disappointed someone, either himself or his parents. Next thing to happen, Alice came out of the Grand Hall with one of her Junior friends laughing and not paying to much attention.

"Alice..." I said gaining her attention. She hummed as she sat down next to me and her friend wondered off. "Kyle looks... Off. I mean not off-off like he's himself he just looks-"

"He's distant." Alex said jumping in. "Like he's upset he disappointed someone important to him."

"Yeah. And I know you turned him down for last night and everything but could you maybe talk to him? He's still one of the twelve and we still need to be there for each other even if it will be awkward at first finding out you like someone who's gay." I said. Alice quickly took a look past me and Alex to make sure no one who didn't already know was listening before nodding and standing up.