Christams Tree

Two men sat across from each other at a dinning room table. They were locked in a battle of glares.

"Gold and white,"

"Green and red,"

Hoseok launched himself out of his seat, he was flying his arms around the whole time he was talking.

"The tree is gonna be green Jungkook! Why would you put more green on it,"

It was Jungkooks turn to fire at Hoseok.

"The white will stand out too much on the branches, it's going to be the only thing you see on the tree!"

This argument went on for a good twenty minutes. Back and forth with the colors and the size of the ornaments and the way the lights should blink.

It was the first Christmas Jungkook and Hoseok would be sharing in their apartment. It was the start of December and the two decided it was time for a tree. But right as they were about to hit the store Hoseok said he wanted the tree to be gold and white.

Which leaves them here. Angrily sitting on the soft gray material of the living room couch. In front of them was a circular window, all of the city was below them. It was the perfect spot for a Christmas tree. Which they didn't have.

The problem did not get solved and they learned that avoiding it was best because for some reason both of them were beyond stubborn with the subject.

Half way through December all their friends got involved. Jin and Namjoon agreed with Hoseok. They said that the white and gold was elegant and would make everything glow. Jimin and Taehyung sided with Jungkook.  They believed that green and red were the must have Christmas colors for everything.

Yoongi, Yoongi had enough of it. It became a problem in his own house that he shared with Namjoon and Taehyung.

It was two days before Christmas. All the others had settled. Namjoon won a match of Rock Paper Scissors and got his white and gold. Jin who lived alone covered his tree in dozens of artificial flowers, Jimin got as many lights as he could and wrapped them around his tree not caring about hanging any ornaments.

Jungkook and Hoseok still waged war. With two days to go both were becoming restless. Everyone was going to be meeting up at their house for a super special Christmas breakfast party (in the words of Hoseok).

Hoseok sat at the counter on a bar stool munching on cereal and watching YouTube videos while Jungkook messed around on a game he had on his phone.

As Hoseok took his last bite and Jungkook lost his last life they exchanged a glance.

And then another glance.

And still another glance.

"We need a tree."

•••

Rushing to the store was the easy part. Getting there and seeing the measly selection of ornaments and lights was the hard part.

The boys had waited too long and there wasn't much the store had to offer. No white and gold. No green and red.

"Lets start with the tree then,"

Jungkook immediately saw the tree Hoseok was looking at and he immediately started laughing at the face Hoseok was making.

"Jungkook,please"

Hoseok wanted the white tree. He wanted it like kids wanted candy.

"Get it. It's better than us disagreeing about it. God, I can't believe we stuck it out this long,"

"I'm holding this against you forever. Just so you know when you're dead and it's just little old Hoseok in the apartment the tree is gonna be white and gold."

"What have we said about third person?,"

"That it makes me sound like a twat but Jungkook it's just who Hoseok, I mean I, am in the inside"

Jungkook rolled his eyes at Hoseok and what was left of the ornament display.

"What? You're an inner twat?"

Hoseok pouted lightly and whacked Jungkook kiddingly in the back of his head with a box of purple fairy lights.

Now it was Jungkooks turn to be excited.

"Lets take these,"

Jungkook snatched them from Hoseoks hands and grabbed another box for safe measure.

The two of them discussed their options for decoration. Most of the house already had the basic stuff down but the tree was ultimately more important than anything.

"Idea. Jungkook hear me out. Purple and green."

Hoseok shook his hands around the box of purple and green mixed ornaments like he was trying to sell a product. Not a single box of them had been taken off the shelves.

The ornaments weren't tacky purples and greens. The purple was lavish, the green suave, some ornaments had a gloss and others were matte, single white lace ribbon was tied through the top of each one. There was an array of shapes and sizes as well.

"Hey, look at these."

Jungkook had wandered to a bin of what the store was calling "exclusive" tree decorations. The last ornaments in the bin where green and purple. The colors that didn't match but where well stocked.

Hoseok found an ornament that was a spiral of purple wire that had a jingle bell resting inside and demanded that Jungkook buy it. They came across peacocks with drooping feathers, kaleidoscope snowflakes, and oddly shaped ornaments that were eye catching. All of them either soild green or purple, or a mix of both colors.

When they finished picking out lights and ornaments the cart was half way full and they decided maybe a slightly bigger tree was needed.

Jungkook smiled as he watched Hoseok gently jog through the aisles to find an employ to help them carry the tree to the car.

•••

Once at home Jungkook and Hoseok wasted no time with the tree. It was a solid three hours of unboxing ornaments and lights, breaking open the trees branches,finding power strips and blasting horrible Christmas songs.

Each time a song came on Jungkook would complain about how much he disliked it but by the second verse he was singing along.

Hoseok could not stop talking about how pretty the tree looked, at some point Jungkook got jealous. He said it matched the snow outside. Every now and then he would disappear to the kitchen to check on the cookies he had in the oven.

It was around eight o'clock when the two got done with the tree. They had rewarded themselvs with hot chocolate.

All the lights in the apartment where off expect the one on their tree. The lights blinked softly and made the room pretty pastel shades of green and purple.

Hoseok and Jungkook sat there on couch for a good hour just looking at the tree and whispering to each other. They felt talking to loudly would have disturbed the atmosphere this tree had created.

"Jungkook,"

"Yeah Hoseok?,"

"Merry Christmas"