.4.

"It's a harder way and it's come to claim her. // And I always say, we should be together. // And I can see below, 'cause there's something in here. // And if you are gone, I will not belong here." - Florence + The Machine 'Breath of Life'

I sat there on the log staring into the puddle of water. My bow was sitting balanced on the log next to me, my arrows still on my back. It was raining, and I didn't care how soaked I got. Time was needed for me. I had been sitting here since before sun pierced the horizon. It was just an innocent little spot in the woods I had found since I left this morning. No one was watching securely enough. Slipping out was no problem. 

Aaron's words rang in my head, angering me. Saddening me. How could I believe something that I didn't see with my own eyes? How could I believe words that stung? Even if I refused to believe them, the memory of the conversation played over and over in my head. 

~~***~~

"Glenn is dead," Aaron said with a blank expression on his face. "Along with Abraham." I shook my head, Enid burst into tears and clung to Carl. I looked up at Aaron who now had tears forming in his eyes, making them glossy. I'm sure I looked just about the same. "The. . ." I shook my head even faster rushing to hug Aaron who was about to cry as well. We ended up on our knees holding each other, making sure each other didn't fall into pieces. My cries echoed out of my mouth; emotions taking over my body. "Ana. . .the things he did. . ." He shuddered into my shoulder, uncontrollable sobs taking over his body. "Ana, he ba-bashed in their skulls. He told us that since we killed their men, he was going to kill one of us. Abraham was first. Then it was Glenn after Daryl. . ." Glenn...my brother.

I furrowed my eyebrows and pulled myself back a little bit. "After Daryl what," I questioned as I looked my best friend in his eyes. He refused to answer, it pained him. "What did Daryl do, Aaron," I asked sweetly as I rubbed his tears away with my thumb and pointer finger. All Aaron could do was gaze in my eyes, which were filled with tears. "Oh, come here." I pushed his head back into the crook of my neck. "Whatever Daryl did I'm sure he didn't mean for it to kill Glenn." Aaron wrapped his arms around me tightly, no sobs coming from him. "We may never recover from our losses, but may we go on in their name." Saying this was something I couldn't wrap myself around, I couldn't, but I hoped that my fellow friends could.

"For them," Enid stated, tears running down her cheeks. 

I nodded as Aaron pushed himself back softly. "I think it's time to lay down for me." I nodded as I moved out of his way. He quickly wrapped himself in Eric's arms. "You should probably go and talk to Rick. He mentioned something about filling you in." Aaron gave Enid, Carl and I one final nod before going to bed. Enid and I exchanged glances.

"Since Maggie is at Hilltop, you could stay at my place." She gave me a small smile but instead she shook her head. "Okay, well you know where I am if you need me." She took herself off the streets without another look at Carl or I. I quickly made my way to Rick's only to find him outside sitting on the porch. He was staring blankly ahead, not moving his eyes as I leant against his rails. We sat in the silence of day as he rested in his chair. 

"Gl-"

"I know," I quickly interrupted. He eyed me, not moving his body. This was the only time I could get away with interrupting him. "Aaron told me, not much, but he told me." He moved his eyes back to look straight ahead. "He also told me I should come see you."

"Did he now." His southern voice was raspier tonight. He looked like he had seen some shit, and to be quite honest, I didn't blame him. "Well. . .let's head inside. We can talk privately in there." I nodded, following the man who I felt hated me. He took a quick glance around the quiet neighbourhood and rushed me inside of his house. He took me downstairs, hurrying me along. He said he didn't want Michonne or Carl to hear us, and for once I couldn't tell you why. Rick lead me to a room where I could be seated comfortably, himself too. He grabbed alcohol out of a drawer, along with some glasses, and sat them in front of us. "I don't know how to put this," he whispered between us as he poured us both drinks. It was the good stuff.