twenty

"What do we do?" I asked Kyle, the two of us the only ones left in the quiet apartment.

The responders had taken Dan away, trying desperately to revive him. But in the back of my mind I knew he was a goner.

"I, don't know." Kyle said, his voice deceiving him as it cracked.

"He's gone Will." He said, looking at me straight in the eyes. I couldn't look at him back. Never in my life had I seen such sadness in n someone's face as I did when I looked at Kyle.

"He was my best friend." He said, finally letting out a small cry.

"I know he was. I'm so sorry." I gently wrapped my arms around him, giving him a tight hug.

"Dan, we have to find Sophie." Kyle finally said, pulling away from the embrace.

---

"Where's Woody?" Chrissy asked us, completely oblivious as to what her husband had done.

"You don't know?" I asked her. But her confused expression answered my question.

"He told me he was going out with you guys. Did he not?" She looked at us, starting to grow worried.

Me and Kyle both looked at each other, neither wanting to tell Chrissy what he had done.

"He um, shot Dan and kidnapped Sophie. We're really sorry Chrissy but we have to stop him before he hurts Sophie or somebody else." Kyle said finally speaking up.

"How can I help?"

Suddenly the three of us grew quiet. The faint sound of the door unlocking made everybody stop dead in our tracks.

"Look just go along with what he says. We'll hide in the spare bedroom in the closet. Don't worry." I said speaking fast and quiet.

"Come on." I said to Kyle, leading him to the room where we threw ourselves into the corner of the closet.

"Hey babe." We heard Woody's voice as the door opened. His heavy footsteps made my heart beat faster as they seemed to be getting closer.

"We're watching Sophie tonight. Will caught the flu. I'm just going to go get Sophie ready for bed. I'll be right to bed." He said, his footsteps getting closer.

The doorknob finally began turning, his loud footsteps only feet from us. The door then closed, and we heard the sound of the locking.

"Woody I'm really scared. I want Willy." Sophie's small voice made my ears perk up. I could tell that she had been crying.

"He's out of town right now. I know you're scared, but I'll protect you okay. Now I need you to go to bed now. Goodnight sweetie." Suddenly the door to the room shut, and the click of the lock made me and Kyle both jump.

"Hello?" Sophie's voice was growing closer to us.

"Is someone in here?" She asked, walking closer to the closet.

"Sophie it's me." I finally said, my voice hushed. I quickly pushed back the closet door, revealing me and Kyle to her.

Her face immediately lit up, her small body practically jumping on top of me.

"Daddy!" She cried, her small arms wrapping around my back tightly.

"I'm scared." She cried, her soft brown eyes starting to well with tears. "Woody hurt Dan. Woody said Dan was going to hurt me, but we were just making cookies. He wouldn't hurt me. Why did he do that?" She cried, looking between me and Kyle.

"Shh, we need to be quiet. I don't know why he hurt Dan. I won't let him hurt you okay." I told her, trying to make her feel safe.