Chapter 21 Dagger in the Heart

"What a pleasant surprise," Robert said, greeting Marcella at the door to his office.  "You look so radiant with that belly getting fuller every day."

"Thanks, Robert," she said, giving her father-in-law a hug.  "Where's Justin?  I thought that was Nora's motorcycle out front."

"He did drive the motorcycle.  I've got him running a few errands for me, and he took my car.  He'll be back shortly.  So what brings you down to the store today?"

"I came with Sloan.  She's having lunch in the diner with one of her talk show fans.  The woman happened to be in town on business and decided to look Sloan up."

"Oh, that's nice."

"We're going to have our nails done afterward.  That's the last step until the big moment."

Robert gave a warm smile.  "After all those two have been through, I can't wait.  Nora and I have not been able to sleep all week.  She wakes up in the middle of the night, talking about how happy she is that you and Sloan are our family now."

***

Maya asked the waitress on duty to allow her to deliver the order to Sloan.  She carried two plates of Southern fried chicken, green beans and mashed potatoes with creamy white gravy.  After she set the plates down, she refilled their glasses with the delicious peach tea.

"Maya, you can leave the check now," Sloan said. "That way I won't have to bother you again.  I know you're busy managing the staff.  Put everything on one bill, and I won't be needing any change."

"Thanks, Sloan," she said, looking at the very generous tip, then she whispered, "Is this the fan Renatta told me about who was going to visit you?"

She nodded yes.

"Good for you," said Maya, walking away, smiling.

"This looks as good as you and the menu described it."

"The Trent Store makes the best fried chicken on the planet.  When I was growing up, this is where everyone came after the football games.  The Trent Store has catered every major event in Alpharetta.  They're just really good people."

Alana looked as Sloan, thinking what a pity it was to have to destroy something as sweet as one of those Georgia peaches.  In the few moments since she'd met her, she could see that she was just as genuine as the talk show host and if Sloan didn't have her clutches on the man she loved, she could imagine them as friends.  Alana felt her eyes begin to glare; then she realized that she must soften them in order to conceal the deadly blow that was about to be given.  "Trent must be a common name around here.  As I walked through town, I saw a lot of things with 'Trent' on it."

"I've never really thought about that.  I just know that these Trents are known throughout the Southern region.  The community has honored them with a lot of things."

How could he never mention to me anything about his well-connected family?  "Sloan, I'm really happy I had the opportunity to meet you.  I know you think I'm stubborn, but you really gave me some good advice.  If I didn't love the man as much as I do, I'd walk away as you so emphatically stated."

"We each have to make our own journey.  If I were in your position, maybe I would fight too.  You never know exactly what you would do unless you're in the situation."

Good, understanding my position may well help you to recover.  Her icy gray eyes rolled over Sloan, sizing her up.  She was a pretty little thing, very intelligent and obviously full of heart.  Alana lifted her eyes to meet Sloan's.  "Have you ever been so in love that you can't imagine life without that person?"