Twelve.

10 years later.

I looked at the cold piece of stone in front of me

I looked at the cold piece of stone in front of me. I dropped the flowers on the ground and fell to my knees next to my dad.

"I wish I could've at least met her." I said sadly.

"It's aight, lil man." My dad said rubbing my head. "I'm sure she'd be proud of who you're becoming."

"Do you miss her?" I asked looking up at him.

He wiped his eyes and nodded. "Like everyday."

I looked back at the tombstone and at the picture in my hand. "Y'all look just alike." My dad told me.

"Yeah, I see where I got my good looks from." We both chuckled and stood to our feet.

I watched as my dad kissed his hand and touched her name. "Let's go, B."

He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and we walked to the car. "You think she's in heaven?" I asked curiously making my dad laugh.

"Yeah, I hope so."

Later that day.

"What's that?" Brandon asked referring to the letter I held with a blue bow around it.

"Your mom wrote this and left it on the table before we went to the hospital the day she had you." I told him without looking up.

"You never opened it?"

I shook my head. "I was scared to."

He sat next to me on my bed. "Dad, you gotta read it. It's been 10 years, what if she left a million dollars for us!?" He asked excited and started reaching for it.

I playfully pushed his head. "If she did, I'm not telling you." He sucked his teeth and I chuckled. "Go in your room for a while."

He quickly hugged me and left, shutting the door on the way out.

I looked back down at the letter, trying to hold it together. Slowly, I pulled the bow off and opened the envelope. Inside there was a neatly written letter in blue ink that read:

Dear Shawn,

If you're reading this, I'm gone. I just want to thank you for loving me through all of my wrong doings. I probably deserve everything that's coming to me. If my baby makes it, I want you to love him unconditionally. And don't forget to tell him about me before you get a new piece, haha. And if you aren't the father, I still want you there for him. Despite what anyone else says.

I want you to send my son to college, there's money waiting for him. I don't want you to be sad, 10 years from now I expect you to have a wife and more kids. Hopefully a good mother figure. Don't you bring no hoochies around my kid.

I had dreams of one day marrying you, Shawn. But I'm sure you would've had doubts of my loyalty to you. I had never imagined my self having an affair, but you had a once in a lifetime love that I couldn't pass up on. So believe me when I tell you that I really do love you with all my heart.

And always remember, I'm never too far. I'm probably with you right now... kiss my son for me. Kiss OUR son for me. I'll save y'all a spot right next to me.

Love always,
Beyoncé

I couldn't hold it together anymore, I'd been holding it together for 10 years now. I finally broke down as a million thoughts ran through my head.

Listen, Brandon isn't even my son... after they announced Bey as dead, I signed the birth certificate. But I still got the paternity test like she wanted me to.

I was upset when I found out I wasn't the father, but even more upset that Roman's punk ass wanted nothing to do with him.

Then he had the nerve to show up at Beyoncé's funeral with Kelly, it was almost a fatal four way out that hoe. Because Nicki was down to fight too.

I just wish God hadn't taken her away, you know? Brandon needs her, I need her! How could God do that to us?!

This I'll never know. I do know one thing though... she's forever in my heart and I'd give anything to have her back here with me.

"Dad, it's dark outside now. Can we do it?" Brandon asked through the door.

"Yeah, get it set up. I'll be down in a minute."

Flipping the paper over, there was account information. I'm assuming it was for Brandon's college fund. I'll make sure to check it later and even add more money to it. He deserves it, I just wish Bey could see how smart he is.

I folded the paper back up and left it neatly on my dresser, just like she had it.

I met Brandon in the backyard where he stood with his favorite wallet sized picture of her in his hand.

"She was beautiful... you ready?" He asked me and I nodded. He tucked the picture in his pocket and sighed.

"Happy birthday, Mommy. We love you." He lit the lantern and we tossed it together. I didn't know whether to smile or cry as we watched it float away into the night sky.

The End.