two

-M O N T H S EARLIER-

"Here," he whispers. "Here. Take this."

This warehouse is cold and damp; it makes me want to curl up in a ball and enfold myself in my own body heat. I notice flies circling a pile of horse manure; keeping flight as they perform the same pattern of movement again and again. Only stopping once they've dropped dead.

My left hand begins to shake vigorously, and somehow I believe that this will make me seem weak. I stuff it in my pocket.

t a k e i t l o u i s t a k e i t

When I was a boy, I used to sit in the family room with my brother and watch Animal Planet. It was the only station, along with a golfing channel, that we could afford on our tv. But every so often, Ms. Nickels, a widowed lady with greying hair and an array of multicoloured aprons, would invite us to her quiet apartment. The three of us would crowd around her television, and watch a rerun of some British cop show. I can't remember much of my past, truthfully, but somehow I can remember that moment. I remember sitting real close to the screen and watching the well-dressed agent pull out that same shiny silver handgun I'd seen too many times to count. I'd wonder what it felt like. Was it cold? Was it easy to pull the trigger, or did it take a lot of force? Does your hand gradually mould into the shape of the gun?

How does you heart feel when you watch a man drop dead on your account?

How can you continue living when you know you've stopped someone from doing just that?

I reach for the weapon. It's cold, and hard, and sad. It's death.

I wrap my fingers around the gun, a grip hard enough to cut off the flow of blood. My right hand turns a ghostly white, and I guess that my face looks the same way. I let myself focus on the man once again. I would soon find the answer to the questions that had been etched in my mind for a decade. Maybe sometime soon, I think, a little boy will look up at his television and see me, and wonder just like I once did. I blink and suddenly, the childhood memory fades from my mind.

I was not that weak boy anymore. I would never be weak again.

"Okay," I say. But by now, he's gone.

_______________________________

:D YAY!!! I updated!!! sorry this is super duper short, I am planning to write more very soon!!!! I hope you liked this:D let me know what you think if you have time!!! Otherwise i just hope you enjoyed!!! thank you veryveryveryvery much for reading this<3 :')

Xoxo tee