SIX |Returned|

"Ayble." It took all my willpower not to throw my fist across that pretty little face. I stood there, hands at my sides, nails digging into my palm, very calmly staring into her big brown eyes.

    "Relax Stefan, I'm not here to hurt you. I just wanted to catch up." Her infamous smile was always on her face, it was like a part of her facial features. I knew better than to trust any words that came out of her mouth.

    "You killed my brother, and you want to catch up with me?" She rolled her eyes before walking into my house. She stood in the foyer awed at her surroundings even though she's been here many times, too many.

    "It never gets old walking in here like it's 1862 all over again. We used to sit right on those chairs and talk all evening." Ayble pointed to two bone coloured chairs in the far corner of the foyer. In between them was a small round table with white roses on top of the tables.

    "And then you left me here all by myself. I searched for you for decades. I waited for your return... you never came back." Ayble faced me now, for the slightest moment I could see humanity in her. Her eyes had glistened in the light as if tears were beginning to form, then she brushed them away like they were annoying, pesky gnats.

    Ayble began walking into the family room, where I spent most of my time nowadays.

    "I thought about you every moment I wasn't with you, Stefan. I wanted to come back to you, truly I did.  But it was too dangerous for us to be together." Ayble never turned back around, I supposed that maybe she was crying, that maybe she let her humanity seep through the cold front she guards herself with.

    "Because of your father..." I had met him once before when he was young in 1705, he was twenty two, and had just knocked up a young girl Juliet, Ayble's mother. We became good friends, we did terrible, unimaginable things together. We were the world's nightmare, people feared us. He's the one that killed me a year ago. His name is Kensington.

    "You mustn't blame me, Stefie. Damon asked for it, you know he did." I did know, that's why Ayble wasn't dead right now.

    "If I did blame you then you'd have a stake in your heart right now." The words were rasping, but they were the truth all the same.

    "I see. How are you doing?" She asked, as if she had a right to know.

    "How do you think I'm doing?" Ayble turned on her heel towards me. She stared at me for a while before closing in on her final answer.

    "Well," She scanned the room, "By the looks of it, you've finished at least twenty bottles of bourbon in the last six months, but you saved Damon's favourite because it's still sitting right on that shelf where it's been for the last century." Then Ayble walked towards the chair positioned in front of the fireplace. Her fingertips moved across the torn fabric.

    "You've been hallucinating. What do you see?" I still stood at the top of the stairs in the foyer watching her every move. With the use of her fast, vampire reflexes Ayble was in front of me. Her hands reached up to my messy hair, I could feel her fingertips brushing against my scalp as she ran her hands through it. All the while, her eyes were fixed on mine. She was searching through my mind, I knew the tricks that came along with this curse. I should have torn her hand off and thrown her across the room, into the seething flames that I knew were craving flesh and bone.

    But I let her touch me, I let her search my mind for pictures of Damon. She was meticulous, my mind was fast forwarding through centuries worth of memories, when she finally found all the ones of me sitting in that chair in front of the fireplace gasping for air.

    "Stefan." Her breath against my skin felt like hot needles were piercing me. She was so close that I could feel her heartbeat against mine. They still beat as one, in perfect synchrony with each other as they did in 1862. Our lips almost touched but in a moment's worth of time I tore myself away from her body.

    I thought of what Damon must be thinking of me right now.

    He was right there in the room with me leaning against the door. My eyes focused on him, on his words.

    "Stefan, do it. Throw her into those flames right now."

    Ayble looked at me, confused almost.

    "Stefan if you don't do it than I will." He lunged at her, but I got to her quicker. We were panting for air as I lay hovering over her body.

    "Get the hell away from me." I muttered under my breath to Ayble. Once I was on my feet again I search ravenously around the room for Damon, but he was nowhere to be found.

    Dammit, I thought to myself.