eight

It's been a week. A horrible week, perhaps worst than me being stuck in a car for hours worrying about my life. The old bastard was declared our next president, and the streets haven't been safe. Riots every night, helicopters out, streets blocked off. In all seriousness, I felt like I was in the purge. My mother made it a priority for me to come straight home after school. School was divided... hell the nation was divided. But deep down I knew. I had this awful feeling in my gut that he was going to win. I felt upset at everyone that even allowed him to come this far in the election. He was a walking enemy to everyone. He was loved by the privileged and hated by the oppressed. It all made sense, I finally understood that if Matthew didn't get jail time for his crime, then I had to prepare myself for anything to happen.

I open my locker as boys blast music swearing off our next president. The hallway is crowded, as everyone chants. I found it extremely interesting how many people thought this wouldn't affect us, but adults always think they know teenagers. I see Connor walking towards my locker holding his art book. He smiles at me, "Will this madness end?"

That wasn't even a question, because nobody knows what can happen now. This year was the worst year of perhaps all years. "Not unless he is impeached or dead. But look at the bright side.."  There wasn't a bright side. My mother told me, it is all in God's hands and I shouldn't let things that I can't change bother me, it leads to eternal misery.

Connor cocks an eyebrow at me leaning his weight on the lockers next to mine, "There is a bright side?" He sound hopeful.

"Not for us. But for the privilege there is." Connor shakes his head laughing. I felt guilty for making a joke. But in my defence, a joke was going to keep me sane. "You have jokes," we start to walk down the hall to the cafeteria. There was a crowd of people chanting, it wouldn't surprise me if there was fight at school. But it's not, I see Maggie protesting on the lawn. Her friends are chanting along with her. "Maggie protesting?" Connor says watching her.

I smile looking at him. Connor and her were the cutest couple, but I understood why he broke up with her. We walk in her direction. She is wearing a long skirt that touches the floor. Her shirt was white with black words 'Not my President' yikes... Everyone knew Maggie, we all grew up together, there was a small middle school downtown, and it felt like all the kids that lived in Richmond hill went there.

I squeeze through the crowd till I reach her, "What are you doing?" I ask yelling over the crowd of people. Her eyes laid on me, "Organizing a walk out." she says proudly.

Connor looks at her, "Why?"

"To prove a point." She rolls her eyes at him, and I cover my mouth to hide my smile. Maggie never gives anyone attitude. She was the school's most annoying girl. The one that made sure everyone voted for everything. She was in charge of school activities. She was that loud girl, with a driven attitude. But she was very good friend.

"Think about this Maggie." I warn as she continues to protest.

"Who side are you on?"

"Yours." I feel Connor grab my hand. I ignore him pulling away from him.

"Listen Lexi, He is not my president."

i am push by girls chanting "Walk out.' the crowd follows her to the entrance of the building. Connor and I watch as they leave. "She has a point lexi."

I sigh shaking my head, "We all have a point." I walk away towards our table. Daisy is sitting there with her earphones in. Her head nodding to the beat. Connor pulls them out, as Daisy hisses at him, "What the heck Connor?" She grabs her earphones from his hands. In front of her are books, and a long list.