nineteen

"Has your mother said yes yet about the internship?" Maggie asked whispering as we sat eating our lunch inside the library while she also worked on the decorations for winter formal.

I frowned putting my spoon down. "No, and it's been a week already. Harry calls every night asking." It's been a week since I last saw Harry, and one bouquet of flowers already managed to die. A cell phone went off ringing through the silenced library, I glanced around to see whose it was, but it quickly turned off.

Maggie grinned at me as she glued something down in her notebook. "He calls you? That is romantic, everybody texts now." The librarian was behind Maggie putting books away from her cart.

My cheeks were a hot rod. I lowered my voice, I didn't want the librarian to hear our conversation. "It's nothing," But it was everything to me, the unfamiliarity kept me on my toes, and excited me. It was the late night calls he made to ask about my day, we exchanged childhood stories, he shared stories about the world, where he has been and has yet to see. It was beyond exciting than a dead end conversation over text. It was learning that he had two different voices, a morning voice full of lightness, and his nighttime voice, which was my favorite, the roughness in his voice after a long day. I couldn't help but picture him on a long chair, with his legs crossed while grinning on the phone talking to me as I smothered my head in my pillows giggly before I answered his call.

Maggie knew I wasn't sharing much, I never shared too much. I couldn't tell her everything because I didn't want her to miss having someone. I didn't want to gloat. She rolled her eyes as she set the scissors down, "Nothing? I don't buy a word of that. You like him don't you?"

The sounds of keyboards typing and pages flipped distracted me from her question. "Of course I-" I couldn't remember what she had said.

Maggie's eyes were wide, her lips parted as her perfectly white teeth showed. "Like him," she said.

"He makes me feel important," I added putting my food away in my bag as the subject of Harry brought excitement out of me.

I wiped my face, Maggie smiled at me. "You are important. Lexi, you are the most selfless person I know."

"Stop." I wave my hand, I never been good at compliments. I hate to receive them because I always felt obligated to return them and that way they wouldn't seem sincere.

Maggie snickered but quickly covered her mouth to keep quiet. "What it's the truth. Oh guess what I heard," she paused allowing me to guess but I didn't. "Jesse wanted to ask you to the dance." She continued.

Thirteen-year-old Lexi would be head over heels, but seventeen Lexi doesn't really think of anyone but Harry. "Why the sudden strike of attention," I asked reaching for her notebook. I turned the page, a music playlist. She wrote everything with a pink pen and her undecided music was written in a bold blue. 

"He told Troy, and Troy asked me if you and Bobby were a thing."

"Bobby and I are just classmates. We hung out like twice." I said shrugging my shoulders giving her notebook back.

She watched me switching the subject, "What? You didn't like the music?" Her eyes scan the page trying to understand what was wrong.

I laughed. "No, it's great, I just don't like people assuming that Bobby and I are more."

The bell rang loud making us jump. "Math awaits for me." Maggie nagged putting everything away in her backpack. She fixed her hair into a bun, "I'll walk you to the office."

I stood up, "Don't worry about it, you are going to be late if you do." Everyone made their ways to the doors and entered the crowded hallway.

Maggie nod. "It's okay, come on." I followed her out into the hallway as everyone was getting books out of their lockers, few kids running to their next class. "So, back to Harry. Are you going to see him after school?" she asked.