Chapter Six

Savannah's POV

Great, another Monday. Do I have to go to school? I shake my head and sigh as I get up from my bed. At least Marissa gets to stay home today. I go into my bathroom and rub my eyes, exhaustion from work last night evidently clear.

I was not lying when I told Stephanie and Allison I work almost all weekend, I never lie. I am a goody two shoes, an angel, what ever else you call someone who tells the truth and never gets in trouble. My patience level with those two is so low, I am surprised I lasted as long as I did.

Calum promised he would be there for me from now on. Hopefully he sticks with that. Knowing him, he most likely will. I let out another sigh as I wash my face, then take my hair out of it's messy bun and brush through it.

I put on my glasses, then brush my teeth and bite my lip. They are right, Savannah. You are definitely an outcast, a nerd, invisible, not good enough for anything.

Ah, here come the thoughts that keep me up at night constantly. I have only gotten one good night of sleep for the past week, and that was Friday night when Calum stayed over. With him there, I was able to forget about everything and just relax.

Now that he is back home, however, I will be lucky if I get an hour of sleep. Fuck you, insomnia. He may be next door, but constantly going over there just to get one night of good sleep? That raises the annoyance level higher.

When I said that Marissa sees me as more of a mother figure, I was serious. Our mum, even though she was here, she rarely spent time to take care of us. She would go to work, come home, drink, then repeat. If you are thinking what I think you are, you're right. She was an alcoholic. A severe alcoholic, to be precise.

Savannah, shut up! Why do you keep doing this? Never in a million years will I with hold my grudge against her. She is our mum, she was supposed to be there for us. Not "be there," but be there.

Savannah, just shut up already! This time, I listened. I quickly got dressed for school and put my hair in a braided ponytail, then examined myself over in the mirror. I brush my teeth, then take a deep breath. Just one more touch. I put on a small amount of eyeshadow, mascara, and lipstick. By small amounts, I mean small.

Finally, I was ready. Well, as ready as I'll ever be. I exit my bathroom and grab my phone off of the charger, put my homework in my backpack, then sling it over my shoulder and head downstairs, making sure to shut my bedroom door behind me.

Marissa, my gratitude going to Mrs. Hood, is next door. Since I had work last night, Mrs. Hood gladly took Marissa under her wing for me. I appreciate her, but I do need to find a babysitter so she doesn't have to worry about a 7 year-old over there constantly. Not that she doesn't mind, but she deserves a break.

If you don't stop getting lost in thought, you're going to be late for school. Ah, yes, the "conscience" card. It's not like I have anything to look forward to at school, everyone there hates me.

I grab the keys to my house and lock the door behind me, then start walking down the driveway to head to school. "Vanna, hold on a second!" I stop in my tracks and turn around, getting met with the loving eyes of Calum.

"I hope you didn't think I was going to let you walk to school alone," he caught up to me, obviously out of breath. It was like he just ran a marathon or something.

"I didn't think that. I just wanted to get to school on time," I give him a tired smile and feel his fingers intertwine with mine.

"You look so tired, babe," he whispered as he leant down and kissed my cheek softly.