Chapter 4: The News

Howlene slid her body through the open window, then immediately collapsed to the ground. A thought ran across her mind and a second later, she transformed back into herself. Shadow flew out of her necklace and placed herself next to Sofie on the hardwood floor.

"Hey, I'm sorry about back there," Shadow apologized. "If it makes you feel any better, you nailed your special ability!"

"My special ability?" Sofie questioned as she managed to stand up and shut the window. Afterwards, she walked over to her bed, covered herself in blankets, then picked up her cat and placed her next to her.

"Yeah, the way you howled, you activated it," Shadow explained. "What it does is it allows you to receive some help. For instance, when you howled today, you thought of how to wake up all of the children. As a result, your howl became loud enough to allow those children trapped in a nightmare to wake up."

"Although, you didn't know how to summon that. It was one of the many things I forgot to mention. In order for you to use that move, you much say the words, 'Midnight Howl' and then you'll be able to access that ability. It's also stronger depending on the moon's phase. Full being most powerful, new being weakest."

"Okay, I'll make sure I do that next time. If there is one...." Sofie answered in a saddened tone.

Shadow was about to reply, however, a knock was heard on the door. The She-wolf hid herself under the covers as Sofie closed her eyes and pretended to fall asleep.

The door opened. The delectable scent of meat slipped through the small opening, making Sofie and Shadow's mouth water.

"Hey, sweetie," a male voice greeted. Sofie opened her eyes to see her father and stepmother at the doorway. "We just wanted to bring you dinner since you skipped it for studying."

"Yes, its not like you forgot to give her some while she was studying," her stepmother said in a chuckle.

Sofie's father burst into laughter. Once his awkward moment had subsided, he handed Sofie the plate of the sizzling sirloin.

"Thanks," Sofie said as she took the plate.

"Anything for my daughter," he said then ruffled her light brown hair. "Anyways, once you're done, leave it on your nightstand and I'll bring it down tomorrow. Also, good luck on that test!" With that, Sofie's father and stepmother walked out, closing the door behind them.

Sofie placed the plate on her nightstand, her food still releasing some steam.

"Are you gonna eat that?" asked Shadow.

"No, why?" Sofie replied while turning her body to the other side. She was now facing her cat.

"Don't you remember Rule Two? Always feed me! I eat anything related to meat, by the way." Shadow answered, smiling.

Sofie grabbed Shadow and placed her on the plate. "Go crazy,"

Shadow immediately opened her mouth and ate a bit of the steak.

"Mmm...," she said in enjoyment. "But next time, make it more bloody. I love it when it's like that."

Sofie did not reply. She was still caught in her own trail of thoughts. Depressing thoughts.

"Sofie, are you still upset?" questioned Shadow as she took another bite.

"She doesn't trust me. I have a feeling that Chat Noir does, but not Ladybug." Sofie answered while stroking her pure white cat.

"Just keep trying," Shadow encouraged. "Besides, that Volpina she encountered last time, she was a fraud. The real one is somewhere else in the world. Her Kwami, Trixx, and I are friends. I think she went to Italy.