Chapter 12: Failure

A bright, yellow light enshrouded Sofie. Arching her back slightly, a pair of grey wolf ears appeared on her head. Afterwards, she straightened her body and swiped her hand across her face, allowing a grey and white mask conceal her identity. Her arms extended as a grey and white spandex suit covered her from her neck to her toes. A black belt wrapped around her waist as a beige whip with a grey handle locked onto it. Finally, a messy wolf tail emerged from her tailbone area to complete her transformation.

Howlene unbraided her hair so if Nathaniel watched from afar, he would not grow suspicious in his favorite superhero somehow looking like his friend. Once Howlene's hair was separated and back to its original style, she crept towards the door and opened it, slightly peeking outside. The entire restaurant was perfectly fine. No damage has been done other than the golden blob that oozed down the window Nathaniel sat beside. Maybe it was a false alarm? But why would a giant blob of honey suddenly hit the window? There must be some sort of explanation.

The Wolf Miraculous headed towards the window in the far back located within the restroom. She pressed her hands in the bottom rail and attempted to lift it up. Sadly, it won't budge.

"Curse these damn windows," Howlene muttered under her breath. "They're only here for decoration. Seems like this restaurant only cares about fine dining and appearance than the safety of its customers."

Howlene exhaled as she approached the door that she once entered. "The only way out now is the riskiest way possible."

Howlene once again opened the door. Her eyes wandered throughout the restaurant. Many people were concentrating on their dates, foods, and the live music. Although, there were some customers whose eyes traveled all around the place, adoring the scenery. That's exactly what Nathaniel was doing. If she makes the wrong move, she would be seen for sure. It would not take long for people to discover the heroines true identity.

In the matter of seconds, the Wolf Miraculous dropped to all fours, then quickly ran to a nearby table, sheltering beneath it. Once no more footsteps roamed around the table, she gradually retired from beneath the table, moving towards a pillar that supported the eatery. Howlene continued ducking underneath tables and ensconcing behind the fancy pillars until she halted by a table close to the main entrance. Unfortunately, a large crowd of famished customers entered the restaurant, blocking Howlene's only way out. Her eyes skimmed throughout the place in search of a possible emergency exit. Not a single one was found.

"Wow, safest place to be when a fire suddenly appears...," Howlene mumbled to herself sarcastically.

The heroine pondered. She needed a plan in order to escape unnoticeably. She could possibly create a distraction. But how? Howlene noticed two empty wineglasses standing still upon the table cloth. She tightly gripped them in her hands, then instantly chucked them at the back wall. Once the wall and wineglasses collided, the glasses immediately shattered into a million pieces, causing everyone to jerk their heads to the sound.

Nows my chance, Howlene thought quickly. She braced herself on all fours, and sprinted towards the front door while murmurs echoed the entire restaurant, questioning about what had just occurred.

Howlene sighed in relief as she finally exited the eatery, hopefully unseen. She began to depart and search from the Akuma—if there even was one.

***

The heroine calmly strolled down many blocks in the city. Her head constantly turned from side to side as she continued to locate any sign of an Akuma. So far, nothing but the sweet, delicious aroma of honey lingered the area she walked upon. She then turned towards the next block. Her eyes widened as she suddenly came to a complete stop.