Chapter 10: A Silent Study

Sofie slammed her fist on her jet black digital alarm clock. She groggily exited her bed; slowly removing the pile of blankets off of her now uncomfortable body. Her bare feet touched the cold, chestnut floorboard, causing a shiver to roll up her spine.

After a few stretches, the brunette caught a glimpse over at her cat's bed. There she noticed her small, She-wolf Kwami, Shadow, sleeping peacefully. Sofie approached her cat's bed, and kneeled down. She then stroked the top of Shadow's head until she had finally awoken.

"What?" Shadow asked in mid-yawn.

"It's morning," Sofie addressed.

"Really?" Shadow remarked sarcastically in disbelief. "Wow, it's not like I realized that just a few minutes ago, and decided to fall asleep!"

Sofie patted Shadow's head, then lifted her by the tail. Shadow yelled at the sudden experience of almost loosing her bushy tail from a teenager.

"Sofie, what did I say about grabbing me by the tail?" Shadow exclaimed while attempting to squirm her way out of her master's grasp.

The brunette lowered the Wolf Kwami onto her bed. She then stoked the She-wolf's grey tail in order to mend her tangled fur.

The Kwami curiously gazed at Sofie; a furry eyebrow raising in its consternation. "What made you so perky today?"

Sofie shrugged her shoulders. "To he honest, I don't know. Maybe I slept well last night."

Shadow dashed towards the teenager, who seemed to be heading to the door in order to make her way to the kitchen.

"Are you getting me food?"

Sofie noticed her Kwami's nose pressed against her own. "Yes I am, Shadow,"

"Huzzah!" Shadow cheered enthusiastically; her appealing voice ringing throughout the bedroom.

The brunette swung open the door, then glanced in both directions. Shadow's astoundingly loud roar of excitement could have caused Sofie's parents to worry. Thankfully, no one heard a sound.

Sofie pressed her finger against her lips and glared. Intimidated by the harsh gesture, Shadow sheepishly descended onto the soft bed while grinning widely. The girl turned around then walked out, making her way downstairs towards the kitchen.

***
A cheerful smile was plastered onto Sofie's face as she stepped into her first period class: Study Hall. Her eyes wondered throughout the room until she spotted vibrant red hair that was produced by her lover, Nathaniel. In front of him, she noticed Zoé and Isabelle. Instantly, the memory of Nathaniel explaining to her about how he was right until her nose all this time crossed her mind. Slight bit of anger struck Sofie, however, it immediately faded. If her friends told her Nathaniel was ensconced comfortably behind her, Sofie would become overwrought from her repulsive emotions. The redhead would easily evaluate that a certain freshman acquired a liking for him.

Sofie passed her friends. They both eyed her curiously, questioning amongst themselves the reason why their fellow friend did not take a seat beside them. The girl instead hovered over Nathaniel's desk, anxiously waiting for him to glance up. Once he did, Nathaniel smiled bashfully.

"Can I sit next to you?" Sofie asked. Isabelle and Zoé immediately spun around, giving full assiduity to her friend and her crush.

"Of course," Nathaniel shifted his binders off of a spare desk, in order to allow her to sit.

Sofie gently seated herself on the chair. She then pulled out a sheet of paper and began to work on it. Nathaniel glimpsed from his green journal to Sofie's homework. He then shut the journal and leaned towards the brunette.