Chapter 18: Disparaître

As the days grew warmer and fall and winter had subsided, Sofie realized that managing two lives was much harder than it seemed. Although the holidays were in session, that did not stop villains from terrorizing the city. Finding an excuse to leave the house during dinner or while hanging out with friends had become more difficult as the days progressed. It appeared that the Akumas were active during times when Sofie was occupied. She had no clue whether or not Ladybug and Chat Noir felt the same way since she was too afraid to ask about their personal lives.

Apart from the Akumas, Sofie continued to have a successful school year. Adrien still tutored her with Algebra during the weekdays and luckily, she began to pass her exams with astounding grades, receiving some applause from her teacher. Nathaniel and her were now known as the official couple of the school due to Isabelle and Zoé not being able to contain their gossip. Unfortunately, this angered a girl named Chloé, the daughter of the mayor of Paris, to the extent that she did whatever she could to make Adrien her boyfriend. She was unsuccessful, thankfully, causing her to storm off with her friend—or more like a slave—Sabrina.

Summer drew near, allowing the days to become longer. The school year was slowly coming to an end, creating joyful expressions on most students' faces as summer break approached. Sadly for Sofie, summer break meant that her friends would "hangout" without her more. But since she was now a heroine for Paris and she had Nathaniel, she would at least have something to do to cure her boredom.

Once the final school bell rang, indicating the weekend, Sofie exited the school without a hustle. Along the way, she spotted Marinette, who she has not talked to since the beginning of her hero life. She decided that she would pay her a visit and ask how she has been doing.

"Hey, Marinette," Sofie greeted. "long time no see, huh?"

The bluenette was startled at first, but eased down when she noticed Sofie. "Oh, hey Sofie! It's been a while!"

"How have you been doing lately?" asked the brunette politely.

"Good actually. I'm just waiting for my friend, Alya,  to come. We're going to a magic show with her litter sisters." she answered.

"Ah, that seems fun," mused Sofie.

Marinette was silent for a moment, then asked, "Would you like to come with us?"

The brunette was taken aback by the question, but quickly nodded. "Sure. I don't have anything going on today so why not?"

"Ah! Great! Now we just have to wait for Alya. She should be coming at any second now." Marinette answered, glancing at the front entrance.

As if on cue, a girl with wavy, copper hair, dyed a more reddish color down at the tips, emerged from the school. She adjusted her black glasses on her tan face by pressing her finger on the bridge of her nose. Her hazel eyes scanned the entire campus of the school, until she finally spotted her friend. As she approached them, Marinette unraveled her arms and ran up to embrace her friend.

"Hey, girl! Sorry I'm late. I realized that I forgot my textbook in class, so I had to run back and get it." Alya said with a cheerful expression while rubbing the back of her neck. Her eyes glanced over at Sofie, in which she asked in a polite manner. "Who's she?"

"Oh, that's Sofie," replies Marinette. "She's a friend of mine and a year younger than us. And, if you don't mind, she's gonna tag along with us at the magic show."

"Aw, sweet. I can't wait for us to have fun!" Alya reaches out her hand. "I'm Alya Césaire. It's nice to meet you!"

"Likewise," said Sofie, grasping the copper-haired girl's hand and shaking it.