Chapter 17: Origin Story

"Hey, Sof, can I talk to you for a bit?" asked Nathaniel as he rushed over to her from his previous class.

Sofie spun on her heel, now facing Nathaniel as he sprinted towards her. The brunette vividly recalled him asking to accompany him with an interview with Howlene. However, that was physically impossible. He could have asked to interview either Chat Noir or Ladybug, just how it always is. But to her luck, he desired an interview with Howlene—the new superhero of Paris—also known as herself: Sofie Lovell. But who can blame him? With a new superhero mysteriously "arriving" to Paris, at least someone would desire more information about them.

Nathaniel bent down and placed his hands on his knees, panting like a dog on a hot summer day. He wiped some small droplets of sweat that were beginning to form on his forehead. After a few more deep breaths, which gave Sofie some time to mentally prepare for a lecture from the redhead, Nathaniel raised himself back up and stated, "I--"

"I'm sorry," Nathaniel was taken aback from Sofie's sudden words. He was utterly perplexed with her apology.

"Wha--"

"I'm sorry I didn't accompany you yesterday for that interview. I know how much it means to you, and I just ditched you without any further notice. I wish I could tell you about my absence, but all I can say is that I was busy."

"Hey," Nathaniel stated in a reassuring tone. "It's fine, I really didn't need your help anyway--" The redhead paused for a moment, catching an astonished look on his girlfriend's face. Sweat dripped from the side of her head, hinting minor irritation. "Wait, I didn't mean it like that. I only wanted you to come in the first place because I was scared to talk to her. I thought you could've comforted me, but it turns out I spoke to her with as much confidence that I had and I managed to do it."

"Really?" questioned Sofie, trying to sound interested in the conversation. She already sensed Nathaniel's mixed emotions when encountering him yesterday.

"Yeah! She was so nice to me and she agreed to take a quick interview—well after she defeated the Akuma. But now I just have to put everything in actual words before publishing." Nathaniel rambled.

"I can do it for you, I insist," spoke Sofie, still feeling a pinch of guilt inside of her. "I owe you one."

"Alright," Nathaniel handed her his notepad filled with all of the conversations with him and Howlene. "Give me the rough draft tomorrow and I'll type it out in the Newspaper Club."

---

Sofie's hand rummaged through her bag as she scavenged for her house keys. She checked everywhere, but strangely enough, they were nowhere to be found. She could have sworn she placed them in there somewhere.

"Hey, Shadow, do you know where my keys are?" Sofie asked the wolf-like creature as it elevated out of her bag.

"I believe you have discarded them on your nightstand mere moments before retiring from your home this morning." Shadow answered sharply, causing a long groan to be made from the brunette.

"You could've told me that earlier instead of allowing me to just stand here for five minutes looking for them." Sofie responded with vexation.

She bent down and lifted the welcome mat in order to grab the spare keys. However, they were not there. Moments later, a buzzing sound was heard from one of the inner pockets of her schoolbag.

"Your technology is vibrating," stated Shadow as she peeked into Sofie's schoolbag.

The brunette sighed. "It's called a phone. How many times do I have to remind you?"