Chapter 9: The Crush

The weekend flew by, and in an instant, it was already Monday morning. An entire week had gone by since Sofie earned her Miraculous. The weekend was calm; no akumas decided to terrorize the city. However, Sofie had a feeling they would return throughout the week.

The fifteen year old walked silently towards school. Her Kwami, Shadow, slept peacefully in her shirt pocket.

The brunette eventually approached the school. Immediately, she headed straight to her friends, who were always there before her.

"Hey, guys," Sofie greeted.

"Hey, Sofie," the two girls replied in unison.

Sofie glanced over her friends' shoulders. She did this same act everyday since the beginning of the year. Her eyes could always lock onto a boy who would constantly sit on the white steps every morning before class started. His face was always in his green journal; his pencil moving smoothly throughout the pages. Though, what caught the dazed girl's attention the most was his unusual, vibrant red hair.

"Oh, Sofie? Hello...Earth to Sofie!" Zoé said as she waved her hands in front of her friend.

Sofie instantly blinked her eyes several times as she returned back to reality. Her gaze slowly headed towards her friends.

"Are you still obsessed with that kid over there?" Isabelle asked with a smirk growing across her face.

Sofie sighed. "Yeah...,"

"I mean, you two could be a thing if you talk to each other," Zoé admitted.

"But the downside would be your grade levels. You're in ninth while he's in tenth." Isabelle added.

"True...," the brunette answered, allowing her voice to trail off.

"I see nothing wrong with this though," Isabelle continued. "Both of you are in high school. How about you tell him how you feel? Maybe compliment whatever he does in his notebook?"

"He draws," Sofie addressed.

"Then say you admire his artwork," Zoé chimed in.

Sofie's eyes shot opened. "No, I can't do that! He probably gets that saying everyday!"

The two girls sighed, then exchanged looks.

"Well, if you want to be lonely without a husband in your life, then suit yourself," Zoé replied as she smirked at Sofie.

"Yeah, we're only one call away if you need company," Isabelle added.

Immediately right after, the bell rang, signifying that all students should head to homeroom. Sofie stood in consternation as she attempted to process what maniacal scheme her friends were up to.

***

The end of the day finally neared. Sofie was now in algebra; her least favorite subject. Her two friends were not in the class with her. In fact, algebra was the only class Sofie did not have with them. She was alone and surrounded by stuck-up popular girls and immature boys.

Thankfully, it was the end of the day. Sofie packed all of her papers she received from class. While shoving some papers in her binder, she found a drawing of a very detailed rose. There was a rose petal slowly drifting off the flower itself in the drawing too. She placed that on top of her binders, not bothering to shove it inside and ruin it. She then ran out of the classroom and into the crowded hallway.

Sofie glanced at all of the lockers just to find hers. Many people blocked them, making it difficult to find her number. I swear, I can't wait to be in sophomore year just so I can carry my bag around. This is getting annoying. she thought to herself as she sped through the halls. Since her gazed was focused on the lockers and only on the lockers, she did not see what was ahead. Or whom to be exact. Seconds later, Sofie and another person crashed into each, causing their binders to fly up into the air.