Chapter Five

Amy Glenn's POV

"Meth, where are we going?" I laughed as he pulled me through the vibrant green woods. It was still light out but it was getting chilly due to the early November weather. I had spent my birthday, November 5th, the day after coming back from the City, with Meth, Brighton, Brielle, and Adele, and I had loved every minute of it.

"I am not cold," I denied, cursing as a traitorous shiver coursed through my body. "Fine, I'm a little cold," I muttered grudgingly. He pulled off his black hoodie, disturbing his glossy black hair that shielded his eyes mysteriously. He slipped it over my head chivalrously.

As his warm body came closer to me, I unconsciously moved closer like a moth to flame. Smirking at me, he pulled me into his strong arms. What I thought he was thinking (and I am never wrong) had my cheeks flushed a deep, fire truck red. He raised an eyebrow, the smirk not leaving his lips. "Oh, you know why I'm blushing!" I snapped, embarrassed. He pushed me gently against the sturdy tree behind me and kissed me. I was speechless, closing my eyes and tangling my fingers in his hair to pull him closer to me.

He had only been wearing a tight, white t-shirt under his hoodie, so his scars were completely visible in the pink and orange glow of sunset. I brushed my fingers over them, causing Meth to lean back, only our foreheads touching. We were both breathing hard, and he stared intensely into my eyes.

"Promise me," I whispered, rising on my toes so my lips were brushing his ear, "that you won't ever leave me." He glanced at my lips before looking back up at my eyes. Then he kissed me again. This was his promise. And it was the best birthday present I had ever received.

Brighton Andrews' POV

"Where are they?" I asked impatiently, looking out into the woods. They had walked off about an hour ago, probably to act all lovey-dovey, and Brielle had held me back from going with them as a much-needed chaperone.

'Give them some time,' she had said. They've had enough bloody time; I want cake!

"I want cake, Glow Worm!" Adele groaned, flopping over on the picnic table bench. A girl after my own heart...

I saw my best friends emerging from the tree line. "It's time for cake, then," I said cheerily, sending her to the campfire to summon Brielle. I met up with Meth and Amy and then walked back with them. "So... how was your walk?" I asked suggestively, wiggling my eyebrows. Amy laughed and smacked me over the head gently.

She was wearing Meth's sweatshirt, which meant that his arms were completely visible. He had scars running up and down his arms, a testament to his past. But I did not stare. I knew those scars way too well; I had them, myself.

However, I was not as self-conscious about it. I was actually very used to wearing sleeveless tanks, and I did not care if people saw. They were proof that I had survived the trials of my life up to this point. They were not pretty, by any means, and I would never want to romanticize them by saying I was proud of them, but I was proud of myself. I was a survivor.

"For she's a jolly good fellow, / for she's a jolly good fellow, for she's a jolly good fellow..." I reached the highest note in the song and held it, just to watch Amy laugh. "That nobody can deny." I finished, joining in my friends' laughter. "Happy birthday, Ames." I gave her a tight hug.

"How did you know I wanted you to sing that?" she asked with a happy laugh, leaning her head on Meth's shoulder. I shrugged nonchalantly.

"It's the accent, it's what all the ladies want," I joked sitting down at the picnic table. "Finally, cake!"

Amy Glenn's POV

"I want custody of Adele," I said later that evening, quietly dipping the teabag in my teacup. Mother froze, flipping the gas of the stove off in our tiny kitchen. She didn't turn to look at me, she just stared at the maroon and cream walls that lined the room. It felt more like a being in a cage with a wild tiger than being in the kitchen with my mother.