•Epilogue•

Madison's point of view:
1 year later-
Isn't it weird how life just changes? Sometimes without a warning... it may be good or bad. But for some reason I think I'm the luckiest person alive. Because right now I'm sitting shotgun by the love of my life; my best friend in the back seat and we're driving off the coast of California.

I look over to Michael who has his nicely dyed blonde hair thrashing in the wind and I smile. He looks over to me through his sun glasses and smiles back, he picks up my hand and squeezes it tightly. I happily sigh.

We're always on the go. I'm scared if we aren't we'll be found... by the mental hospital or Luke or even just my family in general. I know at some point we will have to face the fears we run from, but that day is sure as hell not now. I can't lose Michael again... or ever. Michael and I started dating a day after we left. We all got a hotel room and Calum and his mom stayed as Michael took me to some mystery place. This so-called mystery place ended up being a really cool pizza place. We talked and talked and talked. At some point we finished an entire pizza and I yelled "Waiter, Michael wants another slice." I laughed so hard at that, I don't know why. We got another large pizza and half way through I threw a pepperoni at Michael, little did I know I started a full out food war between us. By the time we were both covered in cheese and tomato sauce, the waiter came to our table and escorted us out.  We got outside and I kissed Michael's food splattered cheek, licking a tiny bit of tomato sauce off. He laughed and said "ewww." That was the best first date I could ever ask for.

I fiddle with Michael's fingers on one hand while his other hand kept the wheel steady.

I can't stand to see my family right now, they're so twisted; I'll never know what's true or not. But ever since we drove off into the darkness that night I swear I see people who look like Luke prancing the streets or sitting at a coffee shop glancing out the window. Michael tells me he will never let that sick basted near me ever again. I don't exactly know how to feel about it all yet, he still feels like my "brother." The thing is, I won't be able to trust him, ever. But his presence still haunts me, at least the thought of it anyway. The words that were spoken about me not knowing who my real dad was really hit me. For so long I've been living around someone who I thought was my dad. It's a thought that makes me feel so small, the thought I don't know who my dad is or what he looks like or even his name and he's somewhere in the world living his life. I doubt he would even remember me, he probably has a wonderful family now. He probably has another little daughter now, he's probably being the father I never really felt I had. I hope she has the happy family I was too oblivious to see I didn't have.

I look behind me at Calum who's looking out the Jeep window at the gently crashing waves beneath us. I smile at him as well, he's my best friend... well, besides Michael.

His mom came with us a few weeks into the trip then she decided she had to stay home in Australia. And Calum and I knew we would stay only friends, I think that actually brought us closer. He has told me he's going to stay a "lone wolf" for now, which is understandable unless he falls in love with someone who's down to drive across the country with us.

I focus back on the road in front of us, brushing my somewhat tangled hair back. The sounds of a blink-182 song is humming while the waves hit against the rocks and shore. The sun heats up a bit and the cool breeze drifts over.

We couldn't run away without a few things holding us back. So on the first week we dropped out of school, with the help of mrs Hood. As we walked through the halls, it was passing period, we all three yelled "fuck you" to all the stupid fucks who brought us down and treated us like shit. We yelled the things we thought we couldn't before. Many clapped, some scoffed, and few found shook their heads. We raised the middle finger to the ones who disapproved our actions. Because in the end, we're just doing what makes us happy. Isn't that what all the teachers told us? When I saw Michael when we went down the hall like kings, I saw confidence in his green eyes. He's saying all things he didn't say to the dicks who bullied him, maybe because this is the last time we had to see them or maybe because we were going to show them that we will be something one day.

I don't think I've ever been happier than I am now. Thinking back now, I couldn't call anywhere "home" but now I can and it's with my best friends. I wish this would never change.