Chapter 6

I was in the hospital for a little while longer. All that really happened was emotional visits and constant sleeping because of the pain meds. Not really exciting. I did talk to Pippa not too long ago, though. I'm gonna try to summarize what she told me so that you guys aren't falling asleep reading this.

Pippa took matters into her own hands. She was tired of waiting. She wanted Jazzy back as much as I did. She went to the police station and started talking to people. The police told her the situation wasn't something she should worry about, but she wasn't taking no for an answer.

"Who are the leads?"

"Look, lady, unless you're family, we can't tell you any of-"

"Who. Are. The leads."

The two men whom Pippa were interviewing exchanged looks before looking back at Pippa.

"Redden Keyes, Chris West, and Dallas Polard."

"What are their relations to Jasmine?" Pippa asked, jotting down the names on a little notebook.

"Redden was a close friend of Jasmine's mother, but he was no longer affiliated with the family after Mrs. Jones learned that he is a pedophile. We learned that he wasn't too happy about that- Jasmine's family had a lot of... benefits for him. He claims that he hasn't spoken to Jasmine in months, but we're still investigating."

Pippa wrote as they spoke, nodding for them to continue after finishing up.

"Chris met Jasmine in a bar a few months ago. According to her friend, he was flirting with her and coming on too strong. Jasmine eventually just got up and left with Anthony. Now, Dallas was-"

"Her abusive ex-boyfriend, I know."

"You know about Dallas?"

"Everyone in the Hamilton cast, old and new, knows about Dallas," Pippa explained. "He's famous among us. You see, he was abusing Jasmine a month or so into their relationship. He was always out drinking and would come home looking for a fight. He took his anger out on her, raped her, yelled at her, and ruined her. Anthony saved her from her abusive relationship and put Dallas in jail for a while. I'm sure you already know about that, though."

"They- that is to say, Anthony and Dallas- got into another rumble at the bar. Dallas ended up hitting Anthony in the head with a baseball bat, which cracked his skull. From what I can tell, Dallas took Jasmine because he wanted her back." Pippa started raising her voice. "If you haven't figured that out by now, you are not qualified for this job. I don't understand how you haven't pieced this together yet!"

"It's easier said than done, Miss-"

"Then get busy." Pippa wrote a few things down and stood up. "Thank you for your time."

Most of you don't know about Pip's attitude, but, God, does she have one. She can destroy someone in seconds. It's impossible to win an argument with her.

Back in the hospital, I was making a quick recovery. A quicker recovery than expected by the doctors. Lin was still making me take pain meds every few hours, which I hated. They made me so exhausted, I could barely keep my head up. I just wanted to sleep for a month.

Pippa came through the door, but I was barely paying attention to anything. Too tired.

"I talked to the police," she said (I think), sitting down. "Or as I like to call them, Dumb and Dumber."

"Take it it didn't go well?" Lin asked.

"Eh," Pippa responded, shaking her head a little. "I think I gave them some useful information, but they can't seem to wrap their head around this case. It's so simple!"

"Well, apparently, they got more important things to worry about," Lin sighed. He looked over at the clock before getting up. "I gotta bounce. Don't look at me like that, Ant, you'll be fine with Pip for a while."

"I'll probably be asleep," I mumbled.

"No, you won't," Pip pressed to me. "You've slept enough."

I tutted. "You ain't even seen me today!"

"No, but Lin's told me how much you've been sleeping, and it isn't healthy. So, no. You aren't sleeping until 9:00 PM. Doctor's-"

"Doctor's orders," I sighed. "I get it."

I really wish people would stop babying me. I can take care of myself. I know I used to be the youngest person on the cast, but I'm still an adult. I don't need someone down my throat every second telling me what and what not to do. I can make my own decisions.

I got a phone call at around two in the morning. I didn't want to get up, but it could be important. God, it was important. I slowly sat up and answered the phone. I didn't recognize the number. I froze when I heard the weak, but familiar voice.

"Ant..."

I swallowed dryly.

"...Jazzy?"