Chapter Twenty Three: Forever

Chapter 23: Forever

Justin

I looked over at Leah who was fast asleep and smiled. I'm so happy that she was finally okay, that she wouldn't have to worry anymore about anything. Her brother was all okay and everything was almost back to normal. I looked back at Matt through my rear view mirror and saw him looking out the window.

"How are you feeling Matt?" I asked. He looked up and shrugged.

"I'm alright, my sides really sore," he replied simply as he let out a sigh.

"Do you want anything?" I asked.

"I'm good, thanks man," he informed with a nod. "Oh and I don't even know how to thank you for the surgery."

"It was nothing, I'm glad you're healthy now," I replied as I shook my head.

"I'm happy to see you, I haven't seen you in forever. Leah missed you like crazy," he admitted with a little chuckle in his voice. He adjusted himself in his seat as I smiled.

"I missed everyone," I sighed, "I'm glad to finally be back with you guys though," I spoke.

"Yeah, hey, are you and Leah like dating?" he asked and I let out a laugh.

"No, no we're not," I spoke while shaking my head.

"Oh, you guys would be good together, Leah basically loves you," he laughed. I smiled and kept my focus on the road as I tried not to pay much attention to his comment about Leah and I.

It was almost three in the morning at this point, and we still had four hours to go. I was the only one awake, obviously, since I was driving. 

My phone started going off so I dug through my pocket to get to it, but the car also started moving around in consequence.

Shit. I grabbed the wheel and swerved it back onto the lane we were on and that's when the rear view mirror flashed with red and blue lights, and a siren cried.

God damn it, can we not have any problems for just one day. I cursed under my breath as I pulled over and pulled out my license. I opened my window as I waited for the officer.

"Sir, have you had anything to drink tonight?" he asked.

"No, I was trying to get something out of my pocket and the car got out of my control for a second," I replied. He looked at me as if I was some teenage criminal.

"Who are those two people? Are they asleep or did you do something to them?" he questioned me. Who the fuck did he think I was? Yes sir, I killed them. Would you like to experience the same sedative I used on the both of them?

"My girlfriend and her brother. They're asleep because we're driving from Chicago to get home for Christmas," I replied, getting a bit annoyed.

"Alright, show me your license and you'll be on your way," he stated. I pulled my wallet out of my pocket and showed him my license. "Happy holidays, sorry for the confusion."

"Happy holidays," I replied. I waited for him to get back in his car before I pulled out my phone and dropped it in the cup holder, driving away carefully.

"So I'm your girlfriend now?" Leah asked with a laugh. Evidently, she wasn't tired anymore. I rolled my eyes playfully as I looked in my mirrors before switching lanes.

"Oh shut up, he would've arrested me if I said something else. He thought I was a God damn rapist or something," I replied frustrated as I stepped on the gas.

"Wow, when are we gonna be home?" Leah whined as she tucked some of her hair behind her ear before lacing her hands together on her lap. I thought about the question for a second before figuring it out.

"Just four more hours," I replied, calming down a bit. Leah clapped her hands together and turned up the radio a little bit.

Leah stayed awake as I was driving to keep me company. Just a few more minutes and we would finally be home.

"Do you want me to drop you off first?" I asked. Leah looked at me like I was insane.

"Drop me off? Justin you're gonna stay for a while I hope you realize that. You went through all this trouble, and you're gonna spend time with me and my family like the old times whether you like it or not," she instructed. I laughed and nodded.

"Fine, after that you're coming over to my house," I replied. She simply smiled and nodded.

I pulled into our street and drove down to Leah's house. I parked the car on the driveway and woke up Matt.

"You're gonna be a surprise since your parents know nothing about you getting the surgery okay?" I informed. Matt nodded and took his bag. We walked up to the door and Leah rang the doorbell while Matt stayed back at the car. Mrs. Maybel came up to the door and gasped.

"Leah!" she exclaimed as she hugged and kissed Leah. I smiled and her eyes widened as she looked over at me. "Oh Justin I haven't seen you in so long! You've grown so much!" she exclaimed and pulled me into a hug, "So I'm guessing you know about Matt," Mrs. Maybel spoke.

"Yeah, I actually have a surprise for you, Mom," Leah spoke with a smile as she pulled her mother over to the car. Matt came out and hugged her.

"Matt! Oh baby how did you get out of the hospital?" she asked.

"Justin paid for the surgery," he spoke, smiling. She turned around and ran up to me to give me a hug.

"Oh Justin you my boy are an angel," Mrs. Maybel whispered as she kissed my cheeks and held me tightly. I smiled.

"Thank you," I replied.

"Come on in all of you, and you'll tell me what took so long to get here," she smiled and rushed us all in. I looked over at Leah and she sighed.

"This is going to take forever to explain," she groaned causing me to laugh.