Chapter 2 ~ Take Me Home

Chapter 2

                 I seriously couldn’t believe this! Who the hell does he think he is? Completely blowing me off, not even giving me the time of day, but the most popular girl in school, Jenna Von, he has time for. What am I?

                  I dried off my hands, I had turned to angrily cleaning the kitchen and washing the dishes to get rid of my frustration, but it wasn’t working out. Normal this would be an easy solution, but he really irks my nerves!

                  “Winnie, I’m home!” my little brother called when he entered the house after school. I tried to suck it up and put on a happy face for him.

                 “I’m in the kitchen Squirt,” I called out to him.

                 Jaime came bumbling into the kitchen with his book bag still on, “Bakin’ cookies?”

                 “You wish. Start your homework.”

                   He through his arms against the counter and started to whine, “Aww…but its Friday.” Sometimes if you really went by the way Jaime acted you would never think the boy was really in the sixth grade.

                   “You know Dad is going to get us this weekend and you don’t want to be doing homework at the last minute.”

                  “Like he’s really gonna come this time.”

                  “He might,” I said with a fake smile and raised eyebrows.

                  “That’s a no,” Jaime pouted.

                  Our father wasn’t a very reliable person, since he and our mother divorced eight years ago we haven’t seen much of him. He was always saying that he was too busy. Naturally we blamed this on our mother and she started to work more and more to avoid the harsh comments I used to throw at her all the time. Back then I really thought it was all her fault.

                 The phone started to ring, “See that’s him now,” Jaime just rolled his eyes at me. “Hey, all our stuff is packed and ready to go. All we have to do is jump in the car when you get here.”

                   There was a pause and then a long sigh on the other end of the line, “Windsor, I won’t be able to make it…”

                  “What?”

                  “I’ve just been so caught up in everything. And I have a big deadline for Monday that I have to focus on. I’ll make it up to you guys next time, take you some place special.”

                  “Now where have I heard that before…Oh, yeah! The last time you were supposed to get us and the time before that. I personally don’t care if you come or not, but Jaime does! We know you don’t care that much about us so stop pretending that you do!” I slammed the phone down on the receiver. It was always like this with my father, if he had told me he was on his way I probably would have dropped dead from shock. I haven’t seen the man in almost two years.

                “Told you he wasn’t coming,” Jaime said matter-of-factly, but it was clear how upset he was.

                 “I know, I figured as much,” I let the water out of the sink and dried off my hands again.

                 “So who is it this time?”

                “Huh?” I went and made myself comfortable in the living room.