Chapter 9: Redundant Anguish

When I came to I was instantly alert for the shadowy figure, sitting up with a start.

"Hey, hey. You're okay...everything's fine sis."

"What happened? Where's the guy in the cloak?"

"What do you remember?"

"...I felt this agonizing pain in my temples, and then everything went black."

I then noticed that Masao was standing to my right. He looked at me sympathetically.

"...Blossom you've been out for a week. The magical scans I did show that your brain was under extreme magical pressure which would explain why you were in pain before you fainted."

Masao is a skilled healer, and he specializes in healing runes.

"Do you know why?"

"I have no idea, Blossom, truly. I, however suspect that it had something to do with that dark figure that I was told about."

"Yeah...about that. Where is he?"

Ash is the one who answered my question this time.

"We don't know. He disappeared as quickly as he came the second you fainted, he didn't even take anything."

"...What? B-but that makes no sense. Why would he go to the trouble of breaking through the wards and invoking our security system, if he was just going to leave empty handed?"

"...I don't know sis, but keep your guard up. I don't like this one bit."

"Me neither."

I sighed heavily, and then proceeded to trying to get up from my resting position in the Plight's hospital wing, which sent a fresh jolt of pain to my head. Ash and Masao stopped me with icy glares.

"What do think you're doing?"

"...Getting up?"

They both gave me a stern look that basically said 'like hell we're gonna let you get up'. They left no room for argument, so I reluctantly lowered myself back down onto the pillow.

"I'm not even in that much pain."

Masao raised an eyebrow which shut me up. Right...medical expert, he knows I'm in pain.

"Ugh...whatever."

"Now, try to get some rest, Blossom. It's essential."

"Where are you two going?"

"We have a case to deal with; we'll be back before you know it. Don't even think of getting up. Got it?"

"Whatever."

"I'm serious, Raven. Masao thinks that you are in no condition to move around a lot. He's the expert so I trust him on this."

"...Fine."

"Good."

He leaned down and kissed me gently on my forehead, and then they walked out of the room, quietly chatting about their case. Great...I'm stuck here doing NOTHING. I should be poring over my old files. Not here doing absolutely nothing! At least the guys were sweet enough to leave my phone on the bedside table. I decided to quickly check my notifications. Oh crap a dozen missed calls from Matt? Right, I haven't seen him since that day I got drunk and slept over at his house. I should probably call him back. He picked up on the second ring.

"RAVEN, WHAT THE FUCK?!"

Loud noises. Ouch.

"What?"