Chapter 4: Sam

He strolls the barren streets shivering, even though he wears a heavy wool coat that belonged to his father. Finally, seeing his destination he sprints up the block wanting to be rid of the cold. The tiny bell above the door rings telling the employees that another customer has arrived. The boy scans the faces in the small diner looking for another boy who clearly wasn't there. He's late as always. Sam thinks to himself. Finally, he settles on a booth by a window so he can watch for the friend he is waiting for. To pass the time he watches the faces in the diner and he sees, not too far from him, a girl with light golden skin, dark brown hair, and golden brown eyes about his age staring out the window dreamily. She must be waiting for someone. Poor girl, if he hasn't showed yet I doubt he will show at all. He just watches the girl as she rotates between checking her watch and staring out the window clearly waiting for someone who is running late. She looks up and makes eye contact with him, he smiles at her and she smiles back. He grabs his phone out of his pocket to text Ben and ask where he is as she turns away a pink flush barely showing on her golden skin.

@saxysammy texted one second ago: hey Ben my friend where you at?

@benjammin texted one second ago: sorry man I can't make it. Met a super hot chick on the way😋 I offered to take her on a date before I remembered I was going with you. Please don't be mad.😖

@saxysammy replied one second ago: I'm not mad Ben. 🙂 You really need to use your brain sometimes. And no I don't mean that brain. 😏😉

Ben doesn't reply to his texts after that.