Chapter 11: both

"So," Sam begins attempting to make small talk. "Where are you from?"
"I was not born here." Cecilia smiles, casually sipping her espresso.
Sam laughs. "I sorta figured that out on my own."
"I was born in Calabria."
"Cool," Sam says. "Where is that?"
Cecilia laughs before she can stop it. "Italy, the 'toe of the boot' as I hear Americans call it."
"Oh."
"What about you?" Cecilia asks, twirling a piece of her hair. "Tell me something about you."
"My name is Samuel Baker, I'm a junior in high school. I was born and raised here, in Seattle. My favorite color is green, my favorite band is All Time Low, I'm ambidextrous, I like to read and I write stories, my favorite book is The Outsiders by S.E. Hinton, and I prefer pancakes to waffles. Your turn."
Cecilia bursts into a fit of wholehearted laughter.
"Ok. My name is Cecilia Bianchi, I am a junior in high school as well. I was born and raised in Italy until two months ago, when we moved here for my papa's work. My favorite color is ocean blue, my favorite singer is Dean Martin, I'm not ambidextrous but I am left handed, I love to read but cannot write to save my life, my favorite book is Harry Potter, I'm not much into American films, but I love Shakespeare, my favorite play is The Taming of the Shrew, and I don't like pancakes or waffles, but I love eggs and pancetta."
"What's pancetta?" Sam asks, eyes wide smiling. She is amazing. Beautiful, intelligent, intriguing. He thinks.
She laughs. "It's pretty much the Italian version of bacon."
"So you're saying I'd like it then?" He chuckles.
"Two fish and chip dinners." Cat grins.
"Thank you miss." Sam says.
"Beni grazie." Cecilia laughs.
"What?"
"It means 'thank you very much' in Italian." She replies.
"Oh, duh." Cat face palms. The young waitress waves at them then strolls back to the counter. For a moment the two share a look of confusion, then both begin eating.