0.6 | side chapter

SŌMA AND JOICHIRO WERE OUTSIDE THE POLAR STAR DORMITORY, enjoying the infamous dishes that they have concot over the years. The redhead sat beside his father who gazed over the stars with a grilled tentacle in his mouth, hanging limp. "Y'know", Pops," Soma started, chewing harshly on his grilled squid leg, "why haven't you ever told me about Sei?" Joichiro sighs and looks at the stars in the sky.

"It wasn't the best choice to keep it from you, Soma," he answers cryptically, "but it wouldn't be the best decision, also, to tell you." Soma looked confused.

"I don't understand, Pops. Just a few days ago, I thought of her as an amazing woman — " he pauses just to watch his fsther's reaction - his face was expressionless, " - I wanted to pursue her, Dad! And now. . . I don't even know anymore. . ."

Joichiro stayed quiet. He bit his lip and closed his eyes, enjoying the slight breeze despite the tension between him and his son. "I knew that you would like her in a way, Sōma," the former Second Seat started, "she has the splitting image of her mother except her hair and eyes. You and I are alike in too much ways.

"But you can't let those feelings get the best of you, Sōma," Joichiro continued. "Your sister has faced too much hardships in her life... and I regret that I couldn't protect her." His father looked so broken — he couldn't grasp why, but he decided to stay quiet.

"Promise me that you won't tell anyone, Sōma." He nodded his head, anxious to know what his father would say.

Joichiro sighed and exhaled. "Long ago, an evil man came. He dreamt of the cooking world to be reborn — to be powerful."

"Once Sei was born, he wanted her. He knew that I asked the Alumni to teach and guide her along the way. So he kidnapped her — " Sōma flinched at his words, but slowly started turning angry. Kidnapped? He couldn't fathom to how his father didn't watch over his sister properly.

"I can't tell you the rest, that's up to Sei to tell you, but Sōma," his father pleaded, "protect your sister with all your heart. She can't go back to the man — if she does, we won't be sure if she'll ever return."

Sōma stayed stoic and stiffly nodded. A gasp was heard from behind, and they both turned to find Sei beside Megumi, who looked shocked. "Father, why did you tell him," she cried. "You promised you wouldn't!"

Joichiro stood up and gave the blue-haired girl a sad smile. "Megumi-chan, can you please leave. This is a family matter that I wish to discuss with both of them." Megumi blinked and quickly shut the door.

" — he has to know, Sei," Joichiro argued. "He's the only one who I told! I promise!" Sei bit her bottom lip and gave a harsh glare to Sōma who flinched under her stare.

"I don't want any pity, Sōma — and yes, I can see it in your eyes. I don't appreciate it, brother." And she exited the room, leaving a loud BANG to be heard.

Joichiro gave an awkward laugh and shuffled. "That could've gone better...?"