Chapter One

"Never trust a man who is too kind..."

    Melina stumbled through the forest, every now and then leaning against a tree or rock to catch her breath. She knew not where she was going, but as long as it was away from where she was before she didn't care. She could hear the sound of dogs barking in the distance and, ignoring her gut instinct, ran towards where it was coming from. The barks were getting louder, and she was beginning to run out of breath as an arrow swirled passed, just barely missing her as it collided with a tree. She gasped out in shock, tripping over her own feet, falling forward with a cry. She hit the ground hard, scrunching up her brow in pain as the air was temporarily knocked out of her. The barking had gotten louder, subsiding slightly at the sound of someone whistling.
    "Are you alright, my lady?" a male voice filled my ears, and Melina opened her eyes to find a young man staring down at her with a concerned expression. When she didn't respond, he leaned down, holding a hand out to help her up. She took it gratefully, and he pulled her back onto her feet. "T- thank you," Melina blushed awkwardly when she met his blue eyed gaze, and he grinned warmly with a quick nod. "I'm Ramsay Snow, and you are?" She cleared her throat, licking over her dry lips before replying. "Melina." Ramsay looked around the forest, "What's a girl such as yourself doing out in the woods all alone?" he questioned, turning his attention back to her as she tried to figure out what to say.
    "I...I really don't have anywhere to go. This seemed to me like the best option." she replied softly, and he furrowed his brow, as if trying to read Melina's thoughts. "You could come back with me, we have plenty of space. I'm sure my father wouldn't mind, if you'd be able to work." She quickly nodded, and he motioned for her to follow behind as he started walking back the way he came, his hounds following from a distance. "So...where do you live?" Melina asked Ramsay curiously. "Dreadfort."