Chapter 27: A Ball but No Amu?

A Ball but No Amu?

The ball has already begun. By this time, night had fallen and bright stars had filled the dark sky. Tara's hopes of finding either Ikuto or Utau were all in vain. She, for some reason, couldn't keep up with them. One minute they were in one room and the next minute, they'd be gone.

"This is why I'm not fond of these occasions." Tara mumbled to herself "It's always this and that and this and that." She sighed as she continued to dash around the palace as fast as she could to find Ikuto or Utau.

As Tara was running around, she was suddenly stopped by her brother, Ryo. "And where are you going?" he asked her.

"I was looking for Ikuto and Utau-san, Ryo." Replied Tara calmly. She didn't want to give anything away.

"Oh? Why would you be doing something like that?" he asked her, he seemed suspicious.

"Is it wrong to look for them Ryo?" asked Tara.

"No, but you never do. So what's going on dearest sister?" Ryo asked her.

"Listen Ryo, this doesn't concern you alright? Moreover, I think you should go back to preparations, after all…shouldn't you be in the royal ballroom? It should be starting by now." Said Tara, she was getting annoyed with her brother.

"Hm, you're right. In fact Tara, it's already started. Mother wanted me to look for you and Mai." Said Ryo and then he asked "If it doesn't concern me…then fine. But do tell, where's that sister of yours? I heard she was up to something tonight."

"Oh? What did she say? I…didn't see her anywhere." Replied Tara. That, of course, was a lie. She had seen Mai, not too long ago, but he didn't need to know that.

"She said she's finally found some way to solve our troubles with Ikuto and Utau." Said Ryo with a smile "I was looking forward to the results of whatever she was planning."

"Do you know what it's all about?" Tara asked.

"No, all she told me is that she was going to get rid of that pest. You know her right? The girl that stayed here because she was being taken care of? What was her name?" asked Ryo.

Tara was furious inside. She never would have thought her brother and sister would plan something like this, and the fact that it took her this long to figure out that Ryo was in on it made her feel even worse.

"You alright Tara?" asked Ryo.

"Perfectly fine Ryo, just peachy." Tara smiled, but she also gritted her teeth. She felt like she wanted to burst and yell at her brother, but she wanted to stay on the safe side.

"Alright then, I'll be going to the ballroom now." Said Ryo then he smiled back at her "I wouldn't want to keep Utau waiting for me." And then he walked away.

Tara couldn't help but shake her head as she watched Ryo disappear. "When will it dawn to him that she isn't interested?" Tara sighed and then she whispered "The ball has already begun, that's my last chance to get to them. I better hurry and get dressed." Tara wanted to run there with the normal clothes she was wearing, but her family would scold her and she'd humiliate the royals for they were hosting the ball, so she just got dressed anyway.

Meanwhile…somewhere in town…

Rhythm heard a knock on his door and opened it. He never expected anyone to come this late since he knew most of his friends were at the ball by now. He opened the door and his eyes widened.

"A-Amu-chan?" he looked at the girl in front of him, and there was no mistake, it was surely Amu.

"Rhythm-san, how are you?" Amu asked with a smile, she was wearing a cloak and she was barely recognized.