Chapter 7 - Surprise, Surprise

I knocked lightly on Natalie's bedroom door but got no response well of course I wouldn't at this time of night even though it was nearly sun rise still, I opened the door slowly and slipped in she lay peacefully, wrapped up in her blanket and cuddling her favourite plushie, I smiled and felt the distant familiarity of being warm and fuzzy on the inside, at least that was still enough to thaw my freezing heart and with that all emotions of despair and anger disappeared to be replaced with the old me.

I walked to the side of her bed and touched her arm, she didn't stir, I pushed her a bit and she turned around so her back was to me, last chance I thought and pushed her a little bit harder, still nothing. She was always a deep sleeper, I pounced on her and she awoke, she stared at me, I laughed "awake now", I said and smirked "what is it", she grumbled half awake "get off", she added "we three are going on a field trip", I said referring to the old military term of going on holidays, her eyes widened and sparkled and with that it took away her old sleepiness, it made her look so much younger then her actual age. I grinned and finally got off her, she flew out of bed with a flurry of bed sheets behind her.

I walked out of her room leaving her to get change I stopped at the door besides her should I go in and tell him, it would sure move the process faster I thought and knocked loudly, I heard light footsteps and then the door opened I found myself staring at Pietro, his backpack's strap hang in his left hand, bulging and he was already dressed "wow your quick", I said and moved out of the way "yeah I guess that's what I'm good at", he said and smiled "good at, I'm sure your great", I said and smirked, he grinned "so where are we going, exactly", Natalie said and I turned around to face her "New Jersey",.

I rested my head against my seat as the plane crowded with more people, the music flowing through my headphones blocked out any outside noise, I smiled and wished that my I would stay happy but alas my mood could change so suddenly that it frightens the people around, I however had, I guess gotten used to it, in other words I could control it most of the time and so I treasured these moments and just let go of anything that could go sour for me.

I'll admit when I was much younger I had been a huge Minecraft fan and so some of the parodies I had found I had downloaded them, the one that I was listening to at the moment was "I am believing" and I'll admit I could be such a kid sometimes, I guess it was just me making up for the lost time of my childhood that I had spent feeling sorry for myself but that was behind me, for now, I closed my eyes and for now all I could do was imagine.

The plane landed with a thumped which woke me and the consent shaking that was coming from my arm, I opened one eye and looked at Natalie as if I didn't want her doing it, her face was a mix of confusion and sadness? she let go of my arm, I smiled and then smirked, she playfully punched my arm and then she smiled.

We stepped out into the open air, I breathed in heavily and for the first time I felt a sense of freedom, I looked at Natalie and then at Pietro, he seemed calm and relaxed but I knew he was eager to see his friends. Calling a cab wasn't a problem it was just trying to shut the cab driver up, I thought I was going to have to threaten him, if he said an another single word.I got out of the cab followed by Natalie and then Pietro, we stood on the side of the road and for a second I thought the cab driver was going to question but he took off once I gave him the money, I started down the dirt road, the trees shading it on either side. Natalie and Pietro trailed aimless beside me.

I came to a halt as a metal wired fence stretching long around the military base stopped us from getting in. The two key gates or entrances were stiff from old wear or possibly they were electric, it seemed the case as my attention was caught on a keypad painted like the silvery metal as to not catch the eye of any one. I looked at the keypad that was connected, it was a simple four digit number, I closed my eyes and focused, opening them again I saw the not so fresh finger marks. I taped on each of the letters that had fingerprints on them. The light on the panel turned green and the fence in front of us came adjured, I grabbed it but remember one other thing security cameras.

I looked up and to the my left sure enough was a little round face cam blended in onto of the fence beside me. I looked back at Pietro "if you were brought back from the dead, don't expect them to believe you at first", I said dead serious "but", I cut him off with the wave of my hand and I pulled the gate open, gesturing for him to enter first. "So how did you find this place exactly?", Natalie whispered in my ear "just luck", I said and shrugged not wanting to give to much away "okay", Natalie said, I knew she wasn't buying it but she went on though.

I followed and close the gate taking one final look at the surrounding area, making sure no one followed us. Satisfied I ran to catch up with Pietro and Natalie who waited out the front of an old bunker, that lay beside the main building, it windows smashed and vandalized from thugs. I pushed past "I'll go first and no one speak", I said looking at them serious. I turned towards the door, I knew there was a camera in the right corner of the door frame so I had Pietro in the perfect spot to be seen, my hand slid towards the gun at my belt and then by my side, relaxing.

I pressed the hidden door bell and waited. The slit in the door at eye level slid open, a pair of pale blue eyes scanned us, right then I knew we looked like tourist, I stepped aside to show Pietro. The eyes widen then squinted "I was wondering if Steve rogers is here", I asked authority clear in my voice, "what's your business", he asked in a gruff Russian accent I turned to look at Pietro "I came here to see my sister, Wanda how she doing", Pietro said worry evident in his voice, the eyes staring at us said it all but there was something else, trust maybe?

I stood up straighter, the blue eyes disappeared and the slit closed again, I heard the faint clicking and the door opened just wide enough for us to fit through, I slipped in first and moved out of the way for Pietro then Natalie, I looked at the man long and hard.

I realised that he was the one who showed up at the happy wheels, "so how is she fairing, it looks like you take good care of her", I said and smirked knowingly "she is a beauty for her time, of course", he said also coming to the same conclusion as I, while Natalie and Pietro just stared at us, confusion clear on their faces, "I would never of guess", I said he smirked, "well then I guess you know my name", he said

"Why, yes I do... Bucky",