5. fights in empty hallways are always fun! ✓

"When there are many worlds you can choose the one you walk into each day." (Brown Girl Dreaming by Jacqueline Wood)

Word Count: 2896

LILLI GULPED AS SHE shut the door that led to the roof. It was eerily quiet— too quiet. There was no hum of cicadas nor hooting of owls in the trees surrounding the school. Had Professor Xavier done something to the woods? Were the trees fake? Lilli shook off the intrusive thoughts as she focused her attention on Warren, using the moonlight to search for him. She could investigate the forest another time.

Lilli really hadn't wanted to go up to Warren. It just felt wrong. It went against every fiber of her being to go and apologize to a mutant. Especially when she hadn't even done anything bad. All she'd done was say something a little rude, it's not like she'd slaughtered his family or something. Lilli had to remind herself that now, she herself was a mutant living in a boarding school specifically for mutants. If she wanted to be making any new friends in this new life of hers, then she would have to be nice to everyone. This was the thinking that had pushed Lilli to come up and apologize. To a damned mutant.

What has my life come to? Lilli asked herself for the millionth time that day. She stood on her tiptoes and spun around slowly, searching for the white winged boy. Her gaze finally fell upon his lean figure sitting on the edge of the roof, his legs dangling over the side and his wings spread out lazily behind him. Lilli dropped back down onto her flat feet, suddenly debating whether or not to approach him. Although his back was to her, he still looked like a statue of some sort of Greek god. Or like he was posing for a Renaissance painting. Should she disturb him? What if she startled him and he jumped up and killed her? Lilli shook her head, ridding herself of those twisted thoughts. He wouldn't kill her. She was fine.

Lilli took in a deep breath to calm herself, and started towards him. "Warren?" She called out when she was about fifteen feet away from the boy. Warren turned his head and looked up at her, the moonlight casting a magical silver glow on his cheekbones. His eyes were blank and unreadable as they met Lilli's, and he turned back around without saying a word.

Lilli sighed as she continued walking. This already was not fun. She sat down a few feet away from Warren and dangled her legs off of the edge, mirroring him. Lilli braced herself does what she was about to say: "Warren, I'm really sorry that I told you that you need to grow up. I've only just met you, and I shouldn't have been so rude to you." She said slowly, carefully watching Warren's profile.

The words felt foreign in her mouth. She was actually apologizing to a mutant. It was probably something that she would have to get used to. These people were her new friends, and so she was going to need to be nice... What would her parents say if they saw her right now?

Warren glanced at Lilli, but said nothing. The two elapsed into a heavy silence and neither spoke for a few moments as they stared out into the front lawn. Lilli watched the moonlit gardens, still searching for any hint of wildlife. She found none. After a few moments, this activity bored Lilli and she found herself looking back up at Warren. Despite his mutant status, he was devastatingly handsome. His nose was perfectly straight and resembled busts of ancient deities. His long eyelashes framed his eyes perfectly and mysteriously, with his facial tattoos adding an extra note of mystery to him. His strong gaze made him seem mysterious and brooding... like he wasn't the kind to get emotional in front of strangers.

Lilli understood this, and she silently stood up. Warren's gaze stayed focused on the front lawn. Lilli stood for a moment as she looked up at the waxing gibbous moon, shining brightly over her. It looked beautiful.

Lilli walked away without making another sound.

-

Lilli didn't sleep much that night. All she could think about was everything that had happened that day. She'd woken up alone in a sketchy motel and was now falling asleep in a boarding school for mutants. For people like her. Lilli realized how insanely lucky she was to have stumbled across Professor Xavier's school. She wasn't dumb— she knew she was marginally safer here than out in the streets alone. She would eventually become friends with these people and start a new life. It was scary and the most terrifying thing that Lilli had ever done, but she had no choice. She had to face these new challenges head on.