#3

"Best of luck my lady" , I heard him say while I was warming up for the 100 meters race.

My lady... the words sank in my heart and took me to a dream where I saw myself leaning on his shoulder ..

"Stop dreaming about me and Concentrate on the race ", I heard him chuckle behind me.

He gave me a thumbs up sign and I concentrated on the 100 meter length . As soon as I heard the gun shot, I started running. I ran much faster than I did in the practice sessions . I was the first one to cut the tape but then something happened. I suddenly felt weak and my vision got blurred. The next thing I knew was - I fell on Randhir, who had come running towards me and then everything in front of me turned black.

When I opened my eyes I found myself in the dispensary .I wandered my gaze around and saw Sindhu and Divya sitting near my bed. I was a bit disappointed as I was hoping to see Randhir around me. But he wasn't there. He must have been busy with his events. He was a high jump and long jump player.

I was a bit edgy as I didn't know what had happened while I was unconscious. I didn't want anyone to know about my disease.

"How are you feeling now?" Divya asked me. It wasn't an unusual tone so I was relieved.

"I don't know... Ummmm... May be I was dehydrated", I said forcing a smile on my lips.

"May be. But You know what!!!! You have beaten your own record. It was 10.59 seconds. Can you believe it??? It's so close to the world record. Vardhan sir is so happy.", Divya said as she hugged me.

"Yeah. He was praising you . He told us that he will coach you for the next Olympics" , Sindhu said enthusiastically.

I couldn't believe my own ears. I was on top of the world. I felt as if I was the happiest soul alive but the very next minute, a wave of sadness engulfed me. I wasn't sure if I could live till the next Olympics. I was upset as I couldn't take part in 200 meters race. But that was OK. Nothing had happened and I was still alive.

I was afraid of the darkness that followed after the race. I thought it was my end and I would be lost in it forever. Yet even at that moment I felt lucky as my last breath would be on Randhir's shoulder.

All congratulated me except Randhir . I didn't see him since I got up in the dispensary.

That evening we were heading back to our city in a sleeper coach bus. I had a feeling that he would come to me so I chose a lower berth. But to my surprise, when he boarded the bus he avoided looking at me . He walked past me and took the last seat. I was stunned at his behaviour. What had happened to him today. Usually he never missed a chance to be with me.

As the bus started , everyone started enjoying. We sang songs and played Antakshari. I came to know through a friend that Randhir had won both the events and was selected for the nationals. I was happy for him. Soon the noises and cheers ceased and everyone got inside their sleeping cabins. I had a wonderful dream that night. Both Me and Randhir were dancing on the milky white clouds and the people around were cheering for us. He had held my waist while I had my hands on his shoulders. I rested my head on his chest and listened to his heartbeat . He then pulled apart and cupped my face in his palms , bringing his face close to mine. I closed my eyes waiting for a mind numbing kiss but he just kept caressing my cheek.

I was brought out of my dream as I felt a warm hand caressing my cheek in reality. I opened my eyes slowly in the darkness and saw Randhir sitting beside me. I had not woken up completely and was still half asleep. I started rubbing my eyes to make sure it was not a dream .

"I am real" , he said softly.

It was dark inside the bus and everyone were sleeping soundly after the day's tiresome activities.

"How come you are here? What if Vardhan sir.. ...",

"Shhhhhh.....", he said placing a finger on my quivering lips. " He won't. He is sleeping ", He whispered coming close to me.

"Why are you here???", I whispered back with a thumping heart.

"I was missing you..", he said looking deep into my eyes. "By the way, why were you smiling in sleep. Was I there in your dream???", he asked smirking at me.

"Yeah... you were the devil who was chasing me", I retorted back.

"Stop hurting me ", he pouted making a face. He looked so cute whenever he did that.

"On a serious note ", he paused and continued,
"Why did you take part in the race ?? What if something had happened ?? How would I ....", he stop abruptly in between.

I had a feeling that he knew something about me. But how was it possible?? No one knows about my illness except my family, Doctor uncle and a few previous doctors who confirmed that I don't have much days left.....

"What are you saying?? It was just low blood pressure. Anyways leave that... you know what?? I broke my own fastest running record today", I said diverting the subject.

"Sanyukta ... You are just... just..." , his words died . I could notice the worried look on his face though the dim light . There was silence for a while.

He then leaned over me making me shiver at our proximity. My heart was pounding so hard against my chest that I wondered if he could hear it too. He brought his face over mine , leaving just an inch gap between our lips.

"You have this bad habit of measuring the distance between us." he said. "You better stop doing it because very soon I'm going to cover that small distance too.", he said eyeing my lips intensely.

He kissed my left cheek, then my right cheek. He kissed me on the skin above my lips ,then below the lips. He kissed my nose and then my chin. I felt as if my heart would come out of my chest and explode anytime . He kissed my forehead and brought his lips close to my right ear and whispered "I love You" to me.

"I don't want anyone else to see you in this." He said covering me with a blanket.

I froze on the spot and my brain had stopped working. He adjusted the curtains and got out of my sleeping cabin after waving his hand at me . I just remained like a statue forgetting to close my mouth .

My pajamas had gone up above my thighs and my loose partially transparent tank top couldn't hide much of my upper part. It was a shame. I had slept so carelessly. I curled on to the other side and tried to get some sleep but it was far away from me . Every time I closed my eyes , I got up recalling his kisses. I always knew that he loved me the way I loved him but I couldn't deny the truth that was hovering on me....

****************************************************************************************
Ignore mistakes.

To be continued....