Chapter 14 - Pretty Please

The question made me feel anxious. Heat rushed to my cheeks.

"I don't know. I'm just not like that. I'm boring I guess." The fact that I just admitted saddened me.

"Why would you think that?" he too looked sad. Why would he care about what I thought?

For some reason I felt compelled to tell him. "I spent the majority of my life studying for something I didn't even want to do. I didn't have a social life; I was too busy studying so hard for something that in the end didn't even matter" I rubbed my forehead in frustration. "I only did what my parents wanted me to do. Then I dropped out of university which they weren't happy about." I laughed at myself.

"And that's how you ended up here" he pouted and shook his head as he finished my story. He was being sarcastic and I shot him a glare that said I wasn't impressed. "Well I don't care about your little pity party." Joker stood up from his seat and looked down at me. "You are coming whether you like it or not. All those years you've wasted when you could have been living." He gestured towards the exit "Come on."

I didn't know what to do. My mind was split. I just couldn't walk out the door; my shift didn't end for another few hours.

He sighed with frustration and tried a different approach. Joker sarcastically frowned and did puppy dog eyes "pretty please"

I was about to say no but then I saw him wink at me. It ignited something inside of me that just said 'fuck it'. I smirked back at him and the edges of his mouth turned into the biggest grin I've ever seen. I grabbed my jacket and began walking out from behind the bar. Joker broke out in to manic laughter. "Oh that's my girl" he growled.

I fired up with excitement. No this wasn't excitement; it was the feeling of freedom. I hadn't felt like this in a long time. Joker held the door open for me and gave me a nod of satisfaction. He confidently called for a taxi and in a matter of seconds one pulled up by us. He opened the taxi door for me "Ladies first". We sat in the back and the driver asked us where we wanted to go. "How about we take a little detour first" He pulled out a business card from his suit jacket and gave it to the driver.