Chapter 4 - No Way Out

He was surrounded by 5 police officers on a walkway over a chemical vat, two on one side, and three on the other. It was clear he didn't have his gun now. With two officers already dead, it was obvious he wasn't scared of using a gun. If he shot the police dead without a second thought, then why didn't he shoot me? I could have been a threat to him too so why didn't I get the same treatment?

Walking backwards, his back hit the railing. I knew now there was no escape for him. The police were getting closer and he was running out of options. Strangely he didn't look scared. I, on the other hand was now kneeling in front on my tv with my hands cupped in front of my face. I had to remind myself to breath. I was about to watch someone possibly die. There was no way he was getting out alive.

He looked up at the camera on the helicopter for the first time. I could see all his features clearly even though he was a good distance away from the camera. I swear I could still see his crystal blue eyes, or maybe it was my imagination. I noticed that the corners of his mouth start to form the all too familiar grin on his face. Deep breath.

He winked?! He winked at the camera just like when he let me go. He spread both arms out, closed his eyes and titled his head back. Wait... he's going to jump? HE'S GOING TO JUMP!!! The police began to run towards him but it was too late. With one swift motion he was falling elegantly to his death. The camera showed the image of the splash and nothing more. It instantly cut to the news anchor back at the studio. I didn't know what she was saying. I wasn't listening. I was too busy silently sobbing to myself. He was dead. The man was dead and I watched it all happen. I was the last person he probably ever spoke too.

I composed myself. Why was I feeling like this? He was a dangerous! He killed 2 police officers and nearly shot me and I was feeling sorry for him.

However, at the end of the day he was still a person.