Chapter 15

She quietly waits there alone. She hasn't told Shadow or Josh yet because they'll definitely fuss then get mad. She winces, trailing her blue gaze to the sky. I hope Im making the right decision... What if I don't see them again? Zerefs ruined my life once, Im pretty sure he won't hesitate to ruin it again. She closed her eyes, picturing Cattys bright smile. I have to. For her.... There's a rustle in the bushes, and two german shepherd ears pop out. She had found out he could shapeshift into any animal for a while now.

"Josh!" She exclaimed, looking at him. He stares back with golden amber eyes, then reaches up a leg to itch at something behind his ear.
"Yeah?" He replies with a sniff. "Mel what are you doing here?" The inu gets up curiously, his gaze searching. "I-I have to do something for Catty." She averts her gaze, staring down at the ground.
"What is it?"

She feels his probing gaze sweep concerningly over her, and a mix of emotions grip her in a hard grasp. "It's nothing, Josh. Nothing, ok?" She snaps, a little harder than she intended to. He steps back, hurt. "Fine! See if I care!" She looks away again, just as a shadow arrives. She feels Josh stiffen beside her. "Zeref?" He says dubiously. "What's he doing here?"

"What do you mean?" Zeref speaks, his voice dripping with evil amusement. "She's mine now. exchanging herself for a friend." 

Josh looks at her desperately. "No...No....Mel, you didn't do that right?" Pain grips her and she refuses to answer, seeing Josh's eyes cloud. She can't tell him. She can't hurt him. "Mel...." Josh murmurs, staring at the ground. Cold horror replaces anger as his bright yellow eyes snap up blazing. "What the hell where you thinking?!"

She tor her gaze to him, her eyes flashing. "I'm sorry, Josh! I had to do it for my friend.. I couldn't let her die!" She turns away as he steps towards her. He looked stunned as she continued. "Catty's my best friend! She's always been there for me, and..." Josh's eyes harden, and his hair shadows his expression as he looks away from her. "Fine... If that's what you think, then fine Mel! I don't care! And don't expect to come back to me whining ok?!" Tears stream down her cheeks, and she sees Zeref enjoying the whole scene. 

"alright!' She crossed her arms, biting her lip. No, Josh will not see her cry today. "Take me already." She turns to Zeref, pain still jabbing at her heart. A sigh forms on her lips as she tried to act casual. I'm strong.. I won't show weakness in front of these two. 

As Zeref takes her away, she glanced back at the disappearing dot. Why did he let me go so easily? Does he not care? Was every kiss, every gesture, every word a lie? Did he do it just to break my heart? Was he planning this all along, for revenge of some kind? She squeezed her eyes shut, warm hot tears running down her cheeks. If yes, then she didn't care. He's the past. A mistake.