Part 23

Murphy

I stood shining my torch on a crumpled piece of paper, looking at all the things we needed. "Isn't Judith a little old to be drinking formula?" I asked, staring at the paper.
"It's not for Judith," Carl answered and I looked to my left to see him grabbing some snack bars from a shelf. Carl and Enid were gathering snack from the shelves to my right and Riley had gone to find some feminine products.

I turned my body to face Carl, my back leaning against a shelf full of tins of food, "Who's it for then?"
Carl still faced the shelves turned to face me, "Its for Maggie, she's pregnant. That's why we're in the warehouse. Just until the baby is born, then we'll be going North. We have some friends that will meet us there The , we got separated. Rosita, Tara, Sasha, Carol, Morgan."
I stood up straight and took a step towards her, we stood centimetres apart, "Wait, she's pregnant? Is Daryl the-"
"No," Enid cut me off and sadly-smiled, "Daryl isn't the dad. He's protective over Maggie and the baby because he blames himself. It wasn't his fault." Enid looked at the floor, "Glenn was the dad. He was kind and caring. But he..." she swallowed, tears falling down her face, "He got killed."
Carl turned to face Enid and pulled her into his chest, Enid looked at me from over Carl's shoulder, "You're right," she sobbed, "The good guys always die. It's not fair."
"That's not true," Carl whispered, "you're not dead."
Enid moved back a little, but still remained in an embrace, Carl wiped away a few of her tears, her forehead creased, "You think I'm a good person?"
Carl nodded, "Yeah, I do. What you've done for all of us, for Glenn and Maggie-"
"Hey, we have a problem," Riley interrupted, Carl and Enid parted, Riley held a radio in her hands, "Daryl is mad and he's on his way over here. We're going to be so dead."
I shrugged, "Well, we better hurry up. There's still fun to be had."

* * *

I pressed against the door, peering through the glass window in it, Daryl had just entered, looking for us. We were in a narrow corridor, our rucksacks filled. Carl had comics and tins, I had medicine, Riley had stationary and tins and feminine products and Enid had baby stuff. I turned around and gestured for the others to follow me. We silently walked to a door at the opposite end of the corridor. I opened it. The heat hit and so did the UV lights and the smell. We were in a room packed with weed. Nick would have a field day. Carl shut the door behind us as we walked through the plants. I whispered, "Something tells me we're not the only ones here."
Carl whispered from behind, "Maybe we should go back. If there's people here, they're not going to be happy with us taking there stuff."
Enid agreed with Carl, "They could be dangerous."
I turned around to face them and saw Daryl standing amongst the plants, slightly annoyed. I was about to say something when we all heard an ear shattering scream coming from the door where we headed.

Daryl came running over to us, Bellamy following. We all crouched down. "Where's the girls?" I asked, concerned.
Daryl walked to the front of the line, his crossbow aimed at the door ahead, he explained, "They're in the van next to your car."
Another scream commenced.
I followed Daryl as he headed towards the door, "We're chasing the screams?"
Daryl nodded, "Yep. Maybe it wasn't a bad thing you guys coming here." Daryl opened the door and stepped inside. We were at the foot of a stairwell, the screams louder. Daryl gestured for us to be quiet and to keep close as he walked up the stairs, his crossbow aimed and ready to fire. We reached the top of the staircase, another scream as we pressed up against a wall and Daryl rested his hand on a door handle. He slowly opened it and stepped inside. We followed.

We all stood in a line, in an empty room. We looked up to see a glass wall and a figure sat on a chair, another figure stood behind them. There was a loud crackle and pop as speakers groaned to life. "Welcome," the speakers groaned, unfriendly and cold, "You've got something I want and I have something you want."
Daryl aimed his crossbow towards the glass. There was a table in the centre of the room we were standing in with a walkie-talkie on it. The speakers crackled, "Use the radio to talk to us."
Daryl slowly walked up to it and grabbed it, "Who are you?"
The speakers boomed, "It doesn't matter who I am. I want the three girls, Melody, Riley and Imara. You give me those and I won't slaughter your people. I've been watching you. I have fifty people. You'll be dead in seconds."
Daryl spoke, "Why do you want them?"
The voice yelled, "They killed my father. They killed some of my people. They must pay in blood. And you can have your friends back."
Daryl shouted, "Let them go!"
The voice laughed, "I will. I'll even let you keep the supplies you stole. But if I don't have those girls in twenty hour hours, you'll all be dead." The voice paused, "Now, get out of here!"

The glass wall shattered, a body flew out of it, landing on a pile of mattresses, that had been carefully placed. Daryl, Bellamy, Riley, Carl and Enid ran straight over to the body. I stared at the window, I couldn't see the person talking or anybody for that matter. I ran over to the mattress. "You okay?" Daryl asked a boy, he had tanned skin, brown eyes and brown hair. He was covered in cuts and blood poured out from him. It reminded me of the time I was tortured. I felt bad for him.
"Tomas?" Riley suspiciously said.
The boy looked at Riley, "Good to see you too. You missed me?"
I looked at Riley, "You know him?"
She nodded, "Yeah. I did."

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Author's Notes: Who captured Tomas? And did you like the little Carnid scene?