Chap 4 || A day with Roman

Claire's POV

The next morning I reach the Easton's with a pair of swollen eye. Although I don't really want to admit, I cried last night. Thoughts hit me. First was what Roman has said, then my brother, then my family, then my job, then my situation. Life is not meant to be easy but it's being way too tough for me. Alexa pretends she doesn't see anything because she knows I didn't lie about my brother being in the hospital. Food was prepared for her and left on the table in her room. I try to smile and cheer myself up before starting my work.

Pills are given to her after meals. She doesn't talk much either so I just lay her down and position her on the bed.

"You alright? Having a back pain?" She concerns me a little. It's been days she doesn't act like that.

And yup, she doesn't reply me.

"Well um, just tell me if you want anything, I'll be right here."

Silence again.

"Miss Dawson, can you give us a moment please?" I don't know when Roman comes in but something is really off. Roman doesn't look good either. Just like Alexa.

Wait. I think I smell something.

"Are you drunk?" I turn to Roman.

This catches Alexa's attention. She asks me to put her in a sitting position.

Roman's eye swift from me to Alexa and back to me. He gives me that you-better-don't-get-this-start look.

"Are you drunk?" Well, it's not from me this time, it's from Alexa.

Roman doesn't reply.

What's wrong with this family. Gosh. (Secretly rolling my eyes, not to mention that it's kind of hard to roll your eyes if you're having a pair of swollen eyes though)

"Yes you are." Alexa answers herself, "can you please stay away from me. I don't want to see you. Like this."

"Alexa..."

"It's been times and times I told you that I don't like you being drunk. You're 26 years old now, old enough to take responsibilities aren't you? And what now?" Alexa's voice trembles a little.

"Alexa... I was..."

"Claire,can you give us a moment please?" Roman turns to me and push me to the edge of Alexa's room. "Stay here." Then he shuts the door.

I can't exactly get what they're saying but it takes only minutes for Alexa to burst out and starts to yell at Roman.

"What do you want! My life? It's pretty much what I've given to you! Look at me now. Ha-ha, it's that what you want?! Wanna see me playing the cello?! Wanna see me do some painting?! Well, I can't! Guess I'm not your PERFECT sister anymore." Alexa keeps shouting.

It's kind of awkward standing near the door. I just hope someone will pop up and at least chat with me until they end their quarrels. And then something caught my eyes. It's Ruth! God, thank you for hearing my prayer. Ruth eyes me about what's going on, and I reply her mentally.

"Alexa! Do you even know what you are talking about?!" This time Roman raises his voice. "All the time i was trying to make it right and now I'm just, tired. So exhaust of trying to forget everything, I...I'm done with all of this."

"Done?! Is this some kind of small matter we're talking about? Done? Like what? Pretend it never happened before?"

"Alexa you know I didn't mean that..."

"Stay the hell away from me, you killer!"

There is a complete silence for like 30 years, I don't know, it just feels like forever until Roman open the door behind me.