Chap 8 || It escalates

"Who is Charlotte?"I ask.

Roman is not expecting the question as I can see it from his face. He frowns, and his expression darken again.

"I don't want to talk about it. There's nothing pretty to talk about it." He lowers his voice and walks away. From his expression I can tell, he looked traumatised and it's clearly that he refused to face it.

"But, are..."I continue.

Then, Roman interupts me. "Please Claire, just... just give me a break. What Alexa has said just now, her dream, that's enough for me. Just give me a break."

"I just wanted to ask if you're okay." I understand the boundary and I'm not forcing him to tell me, I just want to check on him.

"No I'm not." He replies as he sits down on the sofa in his room, and buries his head into his hands. He continues," have you seen my mom's expression just now? When Alexa was having her nightmare? She looked so worried, and sad but she did not even shed a tear, clearly she's trying to hide her feelings because she doesn't want to upset Alexa. And that doesn't have to happen. Everything could've been different."

I sit in silence and listen. Being in my job for quite a few years, sometimes it's better to let the client tells everything, let them express, because every time is the same thing, they come to me because feelings and emotions have built up within them for years, and they have no one to talk to, or they don't know how to initiate and tell people around them.

"Urgh..."Roman buried his head into his hands deeper, "everything is so frustrating. "

"You and Alexa, everything's fine?"I ask. I have to admit these questions is not out of my occupational habits, they're out of my concern, because I worry about him. Geez.

Roman raises his head and looks at me, he opens his mouth but he doesn't say anything. He sits there in complete silence for at least 5 seconds before he says, "let's sleep."

So now i know, Charlotte and Alexa are off topics. So I never enquire more. "Goodnight Roman."

"Goodnight."

***********
I lay on the bed for more than one hour but I can't sleep. I turn to look at the clock now, 2am in the morning. I'm gonna be such a mess tomorrow. I should've taken Roman's offer to send me home, and sleep at my own bed.

Roman is turning on the sofa. He's been turning for like who knows how many times. Apparently he tries to minimise the sound but I can still hear it.

"So... are you not going to sleep any sooner?" I ask out of nowhere. The question comes out faster than I ever thought.

His turning stops. And he replies, "How the hell you know."

"Because it's actually quite loud tho."i replies.

"Did I wake you up? I'm sorry." He sounds concerned.

"Nah, don't worry, it's just me, missing my bed, your bed is not comfortable." I replies. Look who's talking, I laugh at myself, his bed is definitely few more times more expensive than mine. But still, not comfy for me.

"Wow, I'm not offended."He replies.

Then, the conversation stops. We stay there in silence. And this time, Roman breaks the silence. "I'm sorry for being such a douche the first day you came here."

"What?!" My reply comes out louder than I thought.

"I said, I. Am. Sorry. For. Being. A. Douchbag. You're a nice person. Sorry about your brother. I was so fed up that time, but it was my fault cuz I never listened to your explanations. I was too angry to listen to it, and I let my emotions take over me, again, which is bad, so I'm sorry. I don't blame my emotions for it, cuz what's wrong is wrong, and I have to say sorry to you." He replies.