Chapter 1: She is Ready

IMPORTANT UPDATE: As of December 3, 2020 I am revising the original chapters and editing the story slightly. These will be different than what I originally uploaded in 2017. (They're also way less cringy) I hope you enjoy it!

*Note: When creatures shift in this story, their clothes do not rip*

~Aeryn P.O.V.~

It was sunset. The last rays of golden sunlight illuminated the water before me. I basked in the warmth of its rays as my paws collided on the white sands, making small clouds behind me. This was paradise and freedom.

I felt at peace with the world when I suddenly sensed a powerful presence next to me. I glanced over and beheld the largest wolf I had ever seen. His pelt was a dark cobalt with patches of tan speckled randomly across his body. I instantly recognized him and growled.

'Would you stop following me!? I don't know who you are or what you want, but just leave me alone!' I yelled through the mind link.

BEEP! BEEP! BEEP! BEEP!

I groaned as I turned over in my bed to shut off my alarm clock. I sighed while rubbing my hands down my face, trying to shake away the tiredness in my eyes.

'Come on now! Get your lazy butt up!' said Lexi, my wolf, while rolling her eyes.

'Okay, okay don't get your tail in a twist.'

I reluctantly got out of my warm and comforting bed and headed to my closet. I selected a simple shirt and some leggings before going to the bathroom to finish getting ready. I brushed my dark, wavy hair not caring about styling it in any way. I was not the kind of person who enjoyed drawing attention to myself, nor did I care about living extravagantly. It seemed like a conflict of interests, considering I was the Alpha's daughter.

'Well I think we should look our best for when we meet our mate!'

'Lexi, I don't care how we look when he sees us.'

I had recently come of age, meaning I was now able to meet the one I was destined to love forever. I didn't know when that would happen, but it was the least of my concerns. However, my wolf was obsessed with the idea.

I walked downstairs and started to make some oatmeal. My dad waltzed in soon after and gave me a sideways hug, then proceeded to make fun of me for eating oatmeal for the fifth day in a row. After we made our breakfasts, we sat at the table to eat. It was so early, the sun hadn't even risen above the horizon, and my mother and sister wouldn't be up for a few more hours. We usually ate in silence, just enjoying each other's company, but this morning I broke the silence.

"Have you ever had a recurring dream?"

"What do you mean?" he replied between mouthfuls.

"For the last few weeks, a strange wolf has been appearing toward the end of my dreams."

This seemed to grab his attention because he put down his toast and stared at me intently.

"Has this wolf ever said anything to you?"

"No. He just runs next to me and stares."

He furrowed his brow and brought his hand up to his face. I couldn't tell if he was as confused as I was, or if it was out of realization. After some length of time, he noticed my gaze still on him and quickly changed the subject.

"I'm sure its nothing! Now you better hurry along or you'll be late for training."

I sighed before cleaning up my dishes and heading outside. It was raining, to my dismay, but I shifted into my tricolor wolf and sprinted into the forest.

After a few minutes, I was near the clearing. I was about to exit the tree line when I was tackled from the side and pinned under a gigantic lioness.

'You're late, again.' She growled.

I rolled my eyes as best as I could in my wolf form. After growling once more in annoyance, she leapt gracefully off my body, allowing me to stand.

'We've been at this for almost 7 years now. I think I deserve to be late every once in a while.' I said while walking toward the open field.

'Every once in a while? You've been consistently late for the last four days!'

'Geez. You're awfully testy today.'

'Sorry Aeryn, I just don't like getting wet. Besides, it's not like you to be late. Is something wrong?'

'It's nothing really. Just a strange wolf keeps appearing in all of my dreams.'

She stopped for a moment and stared at me with her violet eyes. It was the same look my dad had given me earlier. As I waited for her response, I shifted back into human form, since we were in the center of the clearing.

"That's not bad....is it?"

She also shifted, transforming into a girl who looked no older than I, although she was 300 years old. She was taller than average, had long blonde hair, and rare purple eyes.

"No, its not bad. It's just your subconscious."

I frowned as I found her explanation lacking, but I didn't press her further.

"Now, let's start with some combat training."

~Alpha Michael (Aeryn's Dad) P.O.V~

I was at my desk, working on some correspondence with the neighboring Alphas. The sound of the rain outside was calming and I sensed a storm was approaching.

"So-"

The sudden noise terrified me so much that I made a loud gasp and nearly fell out of my chair. After recovering from the shock, I saw the werecat guardian with her arms crossed, leaning on the bookcase in the far corner of my office. She had raised an eyebrow in response to my initial reaction, but the rest of her face remained emotionless.

"Zira, you could at least come through the door or give me a warning next time." I said while putting my fingers on the bridge of my nose.

"I'd come to think after all these years, you'd expect me to...pop in on occasion."

"Shifters don't have magical abilities, though you're an exception. I can't just guess when you'll drop by."

She started walking toward my desk and spoke quietly to make sure no one would overhear.

"Did she tell you about her dreams?"

"Yes, I figured it means time is running out. Do you think she'll be able to do it?"

She nodded before staring out the window. A distant look formed in her eyes before she returned her gaze to me.

"She is ready. I have nothing more to teach her."