Chapter 11: Mates

Hello again! New chapter, YAY! *does creepy dance because the writer doesn't know how to dance* Hope you all enjoy!

~Aeryn P.O.V~

A smell, the most amazing smell radiated around me. It was like pine with a hint of campfire. I tried to open my eyes but was forced to close them due to the blinding light of my surroundings. After they had adjusted, I realized that I was in my room at the guest house but there was also someone else there. I flinched in shock after seeing the stranger, who was seated in a chair with his arms and head resting on the bed. He was asleep.

'Mate!' said Lexi.

He had light chestnut hair and was extremely muscular. Although he wasn't standing, I knew he had to be over six feet tall.

'And he's hot.'

'I didn't ask for your input, Lexi!'

I sat up, not knowing what to do. I was almost hoping that someone would walk in or he would wake up so I wouldn't have to feel so awkward. I was staring at him for what felt like ages in a mixture of shock, curiosity, awe, and terror.

'Don't just sit here staring! Do something!' growled my wolf who was growing impatient.

'Like what?!'

'You could poke him.'

'There is no way I'm going to do that.'

'Why not? I want to see those beautiful eyes!' she huffed.

Waking up another person fell into my book of really awkward situations I want to avoid at all costs. It's something I never liked to do, so I decided to let him sleep. I climbed out of my bed on the opposite side of where my mate was and headed toward to door. I stopped after glancing at myself in the mirror, noticing the band of irritated skin that went from my eyebrows to the top of my cheekbone. I knew it had been much worse earlier, but my werewolf abilities allowed to heal to the level of a bad sunburn.

I placed my hand on the doorknob and twisted it as gently and quietly as I could before slowly opening the door. I hadn't even moved it an inch when it was immediately slammed shut. I gasped lightly and saw the hand of my mate pressed against the door.

"Dang, you're fast." I muttered quietly.

I heard low growling coming from behind me and in that moment, I wished I were still passed out.

"Where do you think you're going?" he said, anger lacing his voice.

I took a deep breath and composed myself before letting go of the doorknob and turning around to face the wolf behind me. My green eyes locked with his chocolate orbs and he stopped growling. It was as if both of us were in a trace.

"Well?" he said when he finally snapped out of it.

I fluttered my eyelids while trying to formulate words in my mind. His hand was still pressed against the door and he was standing uncomfortably close to me, making me feel trapped. It didn't help that I could already feel the mate bond.

"U-uh I w-was going to get a drink of w-water." I said while trying to clear the fog in my mind.

'You're making us look stupid!'

'Shut up Lexi!' I said before blocking her out.

My mate frowned at my response. He placed his hand on my back and led be back toward the bed.

"You need to rest. I'll get you some water."

I quickly stepped away from him in the opposite direction.