Chapter Sixteen

Ayala felt herself drop to the ground, letting the snow envelope her. It was soft and cold and she just wanted to rest. A boot kicked her harshly in the side and she groaned, but he pain was numb.

"Get up!" The German soldier growled.

Ayala curled up into a ball, hiding herself from his abuse. He refused to stop kicking her, and she refused to get up. She couldn't walk anymore. It was too cold and her feet ached. Her body was being torn apart by the elements. She was just like that young boy hat had fallen the first day. One of the soldiers had shot him on the spot. Ayala was beginning to see that as a blessing. Staying alive was complete and utter torture.

The German soldier yanked her to her feet, shoving her from behind, "I said get moving!"

"I'm to tired!" Ayala cried.

He pulled out a pistol on her, clicking the bullet into place. He snarled. "I. Don't. Care. Now move!"

"No." She said, falling to her knees, tears tracking down her face. "I'm done."

"Have it your way. You're just one less Jew I have to worry about." He shrugged.

Ayala sent up a small prayer, hoping her sister was alright. She hadn't known what had happened to Naomi, but her father said she had hid in the rubble of their home. That meant she had a chance that the rest of them didn't have. She had a chance to get away. And Ayala had hoped she had taken it.

Finally, the German Soldier cocked his gun towards her head and pulled the trigger.

Bang!

Ayala's world went black as she fell into the soft, white snow. Her red blood spilled onto the ground, making the white snow as red as strawberries in the summertime. The other Jewish women and children kept marching around her. They didn't acknowledge the young, dead Jewish girl lying on the ground. They didn't want to acknowledge her because it was just a reminder of the fates they would all eventually face.

Copyright © 2017 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved

I literally can't ruin this chapter with writing anymore. I want Ayala to go out with peace and not ruin her ending. Anyways, remember to vote and comment please.

-Rosanna