Chapter Nineteen

1946, New York

A year after the end of WWII

Naomi stood quietly in the kitchen with her grandmother that morning, rolling out bread dough. She pressed and folded the soft, sticky substance with her hands, enjoying the constant rhythm. When she had worked the dough enough, Mary Grace took both of their bread dough rolls and placed them underneath a towel to rise. Mary Grace place her hands on her hips, smiling proudly, "I think you could become a fine baker one day, Naomi. Have you ever thought of owning a bakery?"

"As a Jewish girl? I would never get any business." Naomi shrugged.

Her grandmother grabbed her hands, a fierce look in her eyes, "The war is over, Naomi. You aren't in Germany anymore. As an American, you can do whatever your hearts desire is."

"Really?" Naomi asked.

Her grandmother squeezed her hands, "Of course."

"Well, maybe one day?" Naomi said. "I do enjoy baking."

A sharp knock on the door interrupted them. David got up from his spot in the living room. When he opened the door, he looked confused, "Yes, young man?"

Naomi tried to peek around the edge of the door to see, but David was blocking the way. She heard someone speaking quietly from the entrance, but she couldn't hear them very well from where she was standing. David looked at Naomi and back at the unknown stranger, "Naomi? How do you know my granddaughter?"

Naomi squeezed past her grandfather and nearly fainted, "W-wolfgang?!"

"Hey, Naomi." he said, twisting the hat anxiously in his hands.

Naomi wrapped her arms around him in a tight hug, sobbing into his chest, "I thought you were dead."

"Hey, well, I'm not. But I was kept as a prisoner for a while." He hugged her back.

"How did you find me?!" she pulled away, wiping her tear stained face.

"I did a lot of asking around and I heard about Mr. David Lee's granddaughter who had the same name as you. I figured it wasn't a coincidence." he shrugged, smirking. He wiped her tears. "Don't cry. I hate seeing you so upset."

"I'm just so happy!" she cried.

She heard her grandfather clearing his throat behind her. Naomi cringed and turned around, "Oh, grandfather, this is Wolfgang. The boy-well, he was a boy at the time--anyways, he helped me escape from Germany."

David stepped forward, offering his hand, "I suppose I should thank you for saving my granddaughter's life and returning her to us."

"It was my honor to escort her across the country, sir." Wolfgang said seriously.

There was unspoken words passed between them that Naomi couldn't understand, but Wolfgang appeared relieved when David stepped back inside. Her grandfather had seemed to deem him alright to be around.

When the door shut behind Naomi to give them privacy, she immediately wrapped Wolfgang up in a bear hug, "I missed you so much."

"I missed you too." Wolfgang ran his fingers down her hair.

Naomi leaned back, "And how are your mother and sister?"

"They actually came here with me to America after the war ended. We live just down the street."

"Really?!" Naomi smiled.

"If you keep smiling that much, I think you're going to pull a muscle." Wolfgang smirked, chuckling.

"You have no idea how much it means to me that you're alive and...here."

Wolfgang ran a finger down her cheek. He tilted her chin up, looking into her eyes, "And I hope you don't plan sailing of to another country anytime soon without me?"

"I don't plan on it, no." Naomi smirked playfully.

"Good. That means I can do this all I want." he said.

Before she knew what he was about, his lips were on hers, making her legs weak and her mind senseless. When he pulled away from the kiss, Naomi tried to lean in for more but Wolfgang only laughed, "Greedy, aren't we?"

"After three years, yes." Naomi pecked him on the lips. She wrapped her hand around his arm. "We should head inside. My grandma will want to meet you. She's really sweet and you'll love her."

"I'm sure I will." he winked.

Naomi headed into her apartment and out of the chill of the wind. As she stood there in the kitchen, watching her grandmother who was trying to show Wolfgang how to make cookies, she almost couldn't believe it. Sure, she had lost her mother, father, and sister. But she had also gained a new family. She had her grandma and grandpa. And now Wolfgang and his family was here. Her world was feeling complete for the first time in years. She hoped it stayed like that for years to come.

Copyright © 2017 by Rosanna Parker

All Rights Reserved

Oh my gosh so Naomi and Wolfgang, right? So cute!!!

Sooooo last chapter??? It feels a little incomplete

Sooooo last chapter??? It feels a little incomplete. I'll think about it for a while and maybe I'll add a few more, but is there really anything else to write about? Everyone is back together again and Naomi is in America. It's all wrapped up but it doesn't feel finished, you feel? Anyways, vote and comment please. Do you think I should write more or leave it at this? Write your opinions in the comments below! :)

-Rosanna