Chapter 9

"A man reserves his true and deepest love not for the species of woman in whose company he finds himself electrified and enkindled, but for that one in whose company he may feel tenderly drowsy."

                                                                                        — George Jean Nathan

I walked over to the water cooler outside studio A for a drink. When I bent down to gulp water from the cooler, I felt someone standing over me and I immediately whipped around, narrowing my eyes at none other than Josh himself. "I wish I could just assume you're here for a drink, but I know it's more than that." I say simply. Josh obviously didn't expect that. Even though I have known him since I was 2, I don't think he's seen this side of me before. Josh opens his mouth, then shuts it again. He avoids my stare as he thinks of a reply. "If you aren't gonna say anything, then bye." I say as I turn to leave.

I feel Josh's hand grab my arm and spin me around so I'm facing him. Also so I'm pressed against him. "Look, I just wanted to tell you it didn't happen like you think it did. Whether you believe it or not, it's up to you, but you know I wouldn't lie to you." he whispers. Gosh. "If you're trying to work your charm on me, it's not working. Go work it on Maddie or someone who wants it more." I push him away and head back to dancer's den, the feeling of his skin against mine lingering. I don't hear footsteps following me. I don't hear a voice calling after me. I don't see anyone running to block my path.

See, he doesn't want me that much.
Fine, go suck your darling Maddie's face!