Chapter Six

A hand on her shoulder gently shook Maleena awake. Her long day, Dillion's warm hand on hers as he drove, and the smoothness of the truck ride, had lulled Maleena's tired body to sleep.

      "Hey, mornin', sleepy head." Dillion had a smile on his face when Maleena turned her head, looked at him. They were parked in front of Maleena's house. 

      "Hey." Maleena let out a chuckle, stretching in her seat. "What time is it?" Maleena asked Dillion, who was still intently staring at her.

      "10:55." Dillion replied nonchalantly. 

      "Cuttin' it awful close to my curfew there, Dill." Maleena stated.

      With a shrug, Dillion replied, "Your parents said by 11. It's five till. As long as we get you out of the truck in time, you're golden." 

      Shaking her head, Maleena grabbed her bouquet of wildflowers from the center console, hopping down from the truck, walking up to her front door with Dillion right behind her. With her hand on the door handle, Maleena turned to him, smiling groggily, still waking up from her nap. "Thank you for today. I had a lot of fun, and it was the best first date I could ask for." 

     Dillion stood with his hands in his pockets, smiling at Maleena. "You're welcome, pretty girl. I'm glad you had fun." Stepping slightly closer to Maleena, he added, "I hope you know that I want to take you out again." 

      The comment made Maleena blush. "I would love that." 

       "Good, so when do I get to see you again?" 

      "I don't know. I will have to talk to my parents and see what works for them. Hopefully they will let you help when the furniture gets here tomorrow." Maleena was honestly too tired to continue the conversation. She took a step closer to the door, partially turning to open it. 

      Dillion stepped closer, softly grabbing Maleena's elbow, making her turn to him. "Goodnight, pretty girl." Reaching out his arms, he invited Maleena in for a hug. 

      Maleena fell into his embrace, feeling comfortable in his arms. She was tired enough that she could easily fall asleep wrapped up in him. Making sure that wouldn't happen, Maleena pulled back from the hug, telling Dillion goodnight before opening the door, slipping inside. 

      Feeling like her feet were dragging, Maleena sluggishly made her way to the stairs. With one foot on the bottom step, Maleena heard her name being called from the hallway downstairs. 

      Turning, Maleena saw her mom emerging from their bedroom, appearing next to the stairwell.

      "Hey, momma." Maleena greeted.

      "Hi, honey. How was the date?" Suellen pulled her robe tighter around her. Sitting low on her nose were a pair of marbled gray rimmed, metal reading glasses. Based on her mother's appearance, Maleena concluded that her mom had been up, reading, waiting for Maleena to get home before curfew. 

      "The date was great. I'm exhausted, so I'm gonna head to bed. I'll tell you more about it tomorrow." Maleena said, trying everything she could to keep her eyes open.

       "I understand, sweetie." Suellen smiled. Nodding her head at the water bottle in her hand, she added, "I see he got you some flowers." 

      "Yeah." Maleena turned back to the stairs. "Goodnight, momma. Love you."

      "Love you, too, sweetie. Sleep well." 

     Too tired to turn on her bedroom light, Maleena plugged her phone into the charger, setting her makeshift vase next to her. She kicked off her boots, allowing her exhausted body to fall down onto her air mattress that was slightly deflated after sleeping on it for a few days without pumping it back up.