Chapter Thirteen

"You ready for your run?" A deep, drawled voice asked from beside where Maleena stood next to her trailer. Turning her head, Maleena saw it was Cody. A smile rose to her lips.

         Maleena sucked in a breath before shaking her arms, looking back out to the arena. "Not at all." She let out an airy chuckle, trying to literally shake out her nerves.

         A chuckling Cody rested both of his hands on the side of Maleena's arms. She immediately stopped her bouncing up and down to look at him. "You're goin' to do great. And I am going to be sitting right next to the gate to be the first person congratulating you after your winning ride." The smile on his lips told Maleena he was confident her ride would go well. 

         Rolling her eyes to shrug off the compliment, Maleena said, "Great, now I feel pressured to ride well." She said it with a smile so Cody knew she wasn't upset.  

          "You will, I have faith in you." Cody gave Maleena's shoulders a slight squeeze. 

          "Thank you. I appreciate it. Stryker is really good at what he does. He just seems a little anxious today, so my nerves must be rubbing off on him." Maleena looked over her shoulder to her brown and white Appaloosa gelding standing at attention next to his spot tied to the trailer. 

         Cody dropped his arms, turning Maleena's attention back to him. "Do you need help gettin' anything else ready?" Cody asked, looking around them.

          "No, I think I am good. Just waiting for them to finish with the bronc rides so I can get out there and warm up." Maleena chuckled, more butterflies starting to swarm in her stomach. This time, she knew they were not from her nervousness; they were because she was staring into the eyes of a very handsome, and very sweet, young man. Just then, the thought of Dillion, her boyfriend, crossed her mind, and Maleena blinked, tearing her eyes away from Cody's. "Thank you, though." The thought of him mad her scan around the arena. Dillion was supposed to be here tonight to watch her ride, but like always, he was no where to be found. 

           "You're welcome." Cody smiled. Lifting a hand to rub the back of his neck, Cody motioned to Maleena with the other. "Well, you look great." He let out an almost embarrassed chuckle, as if he meant to keep the comment to himself. 

          Maleena kept her head down, staring at her boots, as she felt a blush rising to her cheeks. "Thanks." She replied, shyly. 

        "And now up next, we have our rodeo girls...our barrel racers. Come on, ladies, it's time to saddle up and get out here to warm up." The announcer called over the speaker. 

        "Well, that's my cue." Maleena pointed backwards over her shoulder. "Better get Stryker's bridle on." Pausing momentarily, Maleena asked, bravely, "Would you like to stick around to help me hold him?" 

        "Absolutely." Cody replied a little too eagerly. 

         Maleena turned to her trailer to grab Stryker's blue and brown tooled bridle that matched her saddle and breastcollar. By the time she had grabbed it, Cody had already untied Stryker from the trailer, patiently holding his lead rope. 

        With nervous hands, Maleena took off Stryker's halter, slipping the bit of his bridle into his mouth before fixing his ears in the headstall. Taking the reins over his head, to rest on the saddle horn, Maleena checked her cinches, making sure they were as tight as they were fixing to get, before she mounted up. 

         "Would you like a leg up?" Cody asked, shyly, from beside Maleena. 

        Knowing she didn't need one, but not wanting to refuse his offer, Maleena bent her left leg, grabbing onto her saddle as  Cody hoisted her up. Once she was secure in the saddle, Maleena tucked her toes into her stirrups before grabbing both of her reins in one hand, turning Stryker to the left.