Chapter Forty-Four

"This actually looks really good, Cody." Maleena grinned, taking a step back to admire their handiwork that took them over four hours. 

       "You say it like you are surprised." Cody chuckled, wiping a hand over his forehead. "Now, we just have to figure out how to get this air conditioning working in here." Cody walked over to the thermostat next to the utility closet, pressing random buttons on it, attempting to cool down the steamy apartment. All three windows were already open, and the main door, opening to the shared hallway, was open, trying to alleviate the heat that had built up within the apartment, due to the several bodies and moving things around. 

        "I am surprised, only because we got a lot done in the time we have been here, and I wasn't expecting it to look this put together." Maleena stood with both of her hands on her hips. "I can't wait until your roommate gets here, though, since he is bringing the furniture. I could really use a break right about now." 

        Just as Maleena said it, there was a knock on the door. "Cody, my man!" A tall man with dark, chocolate colored hair barged into the apartment, arms stretched wide. With a smile on his face, he walked up to Cody, shaking his hand, pulling him into a hug. "It's so nice to finally meet you, man." 

       "You, too." Cody replied, startled by his boisterous roommate. Pulling back form their bro-hug, Cody turned to Maleena. "Maleena, this is my roommate, Keith. Keith, this is my girlfriend, Maleena." 

         "Well well well, Maleena. It is nice to put a face to the name that Cody goes on and on about all the time. You are much prettier than the pictures." He shook Maleena's hand. "That's a compliment, no worries." Keith winked, dropping Maleena's hand. 

        "It's nice to meet you, too, Keith." Maleena grinned. 

       Keith looked around the apartment, dropping his bags that he had on his shoulder. "You brought the couch and chairs, right?" He pointed at Cody. 

        "Umm..." Cody's face sported a worried expression as he looked between Keith and Maleena, then back to Keith.  

          "I'm just messing with you, man. They're in my truck. I apologize for getting here so late. My morning chores took longer than expected, and then my trailer blew a tire on the way here. But, I am here now. I'm sure y'all are exhausted from workin' so much. I can go see if I can find some other strapping men to help me unload the furniture and carry it up here, if you want." Keith remarked. He was built; he looked like he spent at least an hour, or more, at the gym every morning, so Maleena was sure he could probably carry a recliner up the stairs all by himself. 

        "It's alright. I can help you out. I can't get the air conditioner to kick on for some reason. Hopefully it will be cooler outside." Cody wiped a hand over his forehead again, following Keith outside of the apartment, Maleena in tow.

         "Did you flip the switch on the wall next to the thermostat? That's the only way that it will kick on. It's weird, I know." 

          "No, I didn't try that, but I will have to. Thanks, man." 

         "No problem. Alrighty." Keith jogged across the front yard of the college apartments, stopping behind a long livestock trailer that was backed into it's parking spot. Pulling the keys out of his pocket, Keith unlocked the lock on the trailer door, lifting the latch and swinging the door open with a squeak. 

         When the large steel door was wide open, Keith hopped into the fully packed trailer, beginning to pull out the long, tan sofa, stepping to the side to allow Cody to grab the end of it.