Chapter Forty-Three

"Alrighty, well I think that is everything." Cody closed his truck door, turning to his mom first, before turning to Maleena.

        "Sounds good. Do you want me to go first, or would you like to?" Margaret asked, standing beside her packed car. 

         "You can go first. You drive much faster than I do." Cody chuckled. 

        "Okay, sweetheart. I am goin' to go tell your dad we are leavin'. Are you sure you don't want to come in and say goodbye to him?" Cody's mom pointed backwards, towards the house.

         "I'm sure." Cody's jaw tightened. Once his mom was walking away, Cody turned to Maleena. "I am so glad that you decided to come along with my mom and I to move me into my dorm at college. It really helps a lot, and it will make the transition much easier. Plus, it would be good for you to get to see the campus and see my dorm and everything." 

        "Of course. Thank you for inviting me." Maleena smiled. Glancing to the door of Cody's house, seeing his mom walk inside to update her husband, Maleena asked, "Are you sure that you don't want to go say goodbye to your dad? It'll be months before you see him again."

       "You and my mom, both." Cody chuckled. "I'm sure. After what happened last week with him passin' out..." He let out a heavy breath. "Let's just say that I have had enough of him coming home drunk for the last time. Especially since he knew you were staying over and he still chose to drink instead of staying to get to talk to you, to get to know you better. I have no respect for anyone who can disrespect my woman as easy as he disrespected you." He admitted.

        It meant a lot to Maleena that Cody was that protective of her, but at the same time, Jerry was his dad; even though things were tense between them, nothing would change their blood. As Maleena opened her mouth to tell Cody she understood his decision, though she didn't agree with it, Margaret walked out of the house, back down the steps to where the couple stood. 

          "Alrighty, y'all ready to move 'em up and ship 'em out?" She hopped into her car, leaving the door open so she could talk to her son and his girlfriend. 

        "All ready, mom. See you in Colorado." Cody winked, hopping into his truck after opening the door for Maleena. 

                                                                     ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

        "You're quiet." Maleena observed; Cody hadn't said more than a couple words in at least three hours. "What's botherin' you, love?" 

        "Just thinkin' about stuff." He hesitated, thinking for a second. "And I am nervous about meeting my roommate." 

       "Yeah, but y'all have been texting and such, right?" 

       "Yeah, but even still it isn't the same. He seems like a really cool guy, but everyone is different in person than they are over texting and whatnot. I'm just concerned that in real life, we won't get along." Cody shifted hands on the steering wheel, no longer having a hand resting on the center console for Maleena to hold.

        "Cody, you're a great guy. Just be yourself and he will love you. I know he will." She leaned her head back on the head rest, smiling at her boyfriend. Hoping Cody wouldn't notice, Maleena watched him a little longer than usual, just trying to completely engrave his face in her mind for the days that she would miss him while he was at college. 

         Letting out a breath that he didn't realize that he was holding, Cody's lips turned up in a grin. "You're right, sweetheart. Thank you." He reached his hand out to Maleena's. "I know I have said it, but I am beyond thankful that you are taking this trip with me."